I thought I'd come back to report success, since thread history often leaves that out.
I redesigned my project into two parts (so far), much like the trellis-microprofile project.
This is working well against 17.0 and I'll try it against 17.1 again after having figured out the
Dockerfile.legacy-jar migration. So now I have Quarkus working with Cassandra storage
and my little collection of custom beans.
My goal was to use Camel to route Trellis notifications through Kafka and from there back into
more distributed workflows. Instead I ended up shifting that strategy to use the MP reactive messaging
Kafka producer to achieve this more directly with fewer dependencies. Currently it simply forwards the
activity stream JSON to Kafka. After implementing this I noticed trellis-kafka does the same thing, but outside of MP.
The code is largely the same.