Courier 10 Pitch font.

Anil Gulecha

Feb 20, 2012, 5:33:02 AM2/20/12
to tre...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I've spent quite some time researching the availabiity of the Courier
10 pitch font. It's a little heavier than Courier New, and looks
perfect for screenplays, both on screen and on print.

For example, this site charges 99$ for it.
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bitstream/courier-10-pitch/

I seemed to find conflicting things about this font's free/commercial
nature. I recenty ran across:
http://delubrum.org/ - A listing of free fonts.

Courier 10 Point is unique in that Bitstream did not release it under
a common open font license. However, they allow you to do whatever
with it, including modify, sell commerciay, etc.

Bitstream essentially released this font to X.org project under the
above license. A little more digging and I foudn that the files (on
Ubuntu) are (part of the xfonts-scalable package):

$ fc-list "Courier 10 pitch:outline=true" file
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/c0582bt_.pfb
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/c0611bt_.pfb
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/c0419bt_.pfb
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/c0583bt_.pfb

$ cat /usr/share/doc/xfonts-scalable/copyright
This package contains the font-bitstream-type1 tarball downloaded from
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/font/

(c) Copyright 1989-1992, Bitstream Inc., Cambridge, MA.

You are hereby granted permission under all Bitstream propriety rights
to use, copy, modify, sublicense, sell, and redistribute the 4 Bitstream
Charter (r) Type 1 outline fonts and the 4 Courier Type 1 outline fonts
for any purpose and without restriction; provided, that this notice is
left intact on all copies of such fonts and that Bitstream's trademark
is acknowledged as shown below on all unmodified copies of the 4 Charter
Type 1 fonts.

BITSTREAM CHARTER is a registered trademark of Bitstream Inc.

---

So I went ahead and converted these files to ttf, and these are now
available for one, free to use via:
http://www.trelby.org/files/release/font/courier10point.zip

An included readme file has the license text, and instructions on how
to use this font. Can people here try and see that the font works well
on their systems.

Cheers
Anil

aram...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2012, 12:49:26 PM11/16/12
to tre...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your work. I am finding one small issue with the font, though. I have added all four variants to my system, but trelby does not find the bold italic, even though when I reinstall it, windows tells me that it is already installed. Any idea of why that may be? I googled around, and found nothing.

msze...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2013, 8:09:33 AM1/18/13
to tre...@googlegroups.com, aram...@gmail.com
I can confirm this in my system too (Windows 7 64 bit).

goj...@gmail.com

May 4, 2015, 10:52:19 AM5/4/15
to tre...@googlegroups.com
Thanx  a lot bro

notk...@gmail.com

May 17, 2015, 7:26:47 PM5/17/15
to tre...@googlegroups.com
Another great courier replacement I have been using lately is Courier Prime..
http://quoteunquoteapps.com/courierprime/