Higher Resolution maps?

TuarSrin

Jan 6, 2018, 10:28:33 PM1/6/18
to Trekarta

This app seems very good, however the maps are not so detailed. I can see 100 meter contour lines at the best resolution, 50m in some places.

Is it possible to get 10m or even 1m resolution topography?

Thanks

Andrey Novikov

Jan 17, 2018, 9:22:39 AM1/17/18
to Trekarta
Currently no. Publicly available contour data has 25 meter interval and this is what application provides.

TuarSrin

Jan 18, 2018, 12:23:47 AM1/18/18
to Trekarta
Thanks.

What is the public data source? I would be curious to see what options there are for more detailed resolution. I understand you use a custom format, but it might be possible to find data that could be converted...

Andrey Novikov

Jan 18, 2018, 7:39:38 AM1/18/18
to Trekarta
I have used http://www.opendem.info/download_contours.html as a source. Application uses data in private format but as a source I use widely used shape files format. Any format that can be loaded in GIS database will fit.

TuarSrin

Jan 18, 2018, 11:49:18 AM1/18/18
to Trekarta
Very interesing. For the US, it looks like the DEM should be available at a 1 meter resolution....

Online here I can see what looks like 10 meter resolution:

https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/basic/?basemap=b1&category=ned,nedsrc&title=3DEP%20View

It comes in garmin IMG format, which has DEM inside of it. I dont know how easy that would be to import into trekarta, but it should be significantly higher resolution for some areas

(rather than 100 meter or 50 meter, 10 meter is not bad. The 1 meter data seems very incomplete )