Multiple instances (windows) of TreeSheets?

Adam

Mar 30, 2020, 3:36:46 PM3/30/20
to trees...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

First of all—thank you, Wouter, so much for TreeSheets, and for making it available for Linux! I love using it.

Is there a particular reason why I cannot have multiple instances (separate windows) running? Or should I be able to do so and something's not working on my specific system?

Thanks,

Adam

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Mar 30, 2020, 3:44:38 PM3/30/20
to trees...@googlegroups.com
That's because there's code in there that when you do `treesheets myfile.cts` from the command-line, it is intended to open a new tab in the existing application, and then quits the instance that supplied the filename. It does that using a lock file, so two instances could not both lock that file.
That functionality could potentially be changed, with e.g. a flag that indicates to not bother with this single instance checking?

Adam

Mar 31, 2020, 8:06:03 AM3/31/20
to trees...@googlegroups.com

Douglas Glenn

May 3, 2021, 5:04:55 PM5/3/21
to TreeSheets
Wouter,

I see the area of code you refer to, but unfortunately it is a step too far. The portion of the readme regarding the Linux build after reading the makefile was depreciated, at a bit of a loss. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to place the wxWidgets build in the treesheets src directory or not, and I'm not sure if the make options apply to both the wxWidgets or just the treesheets code.

If I were competent with C, I'd make the attempt to add a toggle to the Option menu to allow multiple instances. I'm not, so commenting that section out if doable.

If you would clarify the Linux build section for this flailing novice, it would be greatly appreciated and I'll get out of your hair.

Regards,
Doug

Wouter van Oortmerssen

May 4, 2021, 2:27:19 PM5/4/21
to trees...@googlegroups.com
I just added the feature: https://github.com/aardappel/treesheets/commit/0c141845ff7bb4fddda06ccae9d96364bb7b19be

Just add -i on the command-line to force a new window.

There should be builds for all platforms here shortly: https://github.com/aardappel/treesheets/actions/runs/811009137

Douglas Glenn

May 4, 2021, 9:21:36 PM5/4/21
to TreeSheets
Wouter,

Thank you so much. Your concepts for Treesheets made it literally the only tool capable to creating workable multidimensional tables of data for visualization. I'm delighted I was able to offer a suggestion you could implement quickly without side effects. Using the Option menu would have introduced possible confusion and added complexity vs the addition of a single variable created at runtime for use in a if/else clause that already existed.  I'd noted the number of earlier requests and wasn't holding my breath.

Many, many thanks.

Wouter van Oortmerssen

May 5, 2021, 12:58:35 PM5/5/21
to trees...@googlegroups.com
Douglas,

Thanks for the kind words, glad to hear it works so well for you!
And yes, this feature was both dead-simple in terms of implementation, and not unimportant, UI. Most features are not.

Wouter

Doug Glenn

May 9, 2021, 1:11:09 AM5/9/21
to trees...@googlegroups.com
Wouter,

Honestly I was just a bit surprised you would add the option. After all the original thread I'd found on the subject was 9 or 10 years old that I'd responded to but I'm glad I did. Your changes were a bit more involved than I thought. Having said that, my visualization of the code I'd add was quite clunky in comparison.

But Thank You!  I appreciate it very much and I expect we may have some lurkers here that are just as pleased.

Warmest regards,
Doug

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "TreeSheets" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/treesheets/CAJc%3DHxzen0O%3DwJrTvYpSaXb-ObAyrdEqvYuf8R6ZpEY%3D%2BL8E6w%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Regards,
Doug