syncing

Sanjay Bhandari

Mar 8, 2016, 6:17:14 PM3/8/16
to TreeSheets
Couldn't find any posts on this.

Is there any kind of syncing capability in the app? Something that would allow several instances on different machine to remain in sync.

Would a shared file on dropbox etc. accomplish this, or will the different instances keep stomping on each other?

Thanks for your help!

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Mar 8, 2016, 7:32:47 PM3/8/16
to trees...@googlegroups.com
There's no built-in syncing (that would require accounts, servers and all sorts of scary stuff).

Using DropBox or similar is the way to go. There's logic in the app to detect when the file on disk has changed. If this happens after your last local save, it will auto-reload the one on disk. If it happens when you have local unsaved changes, it will ask you if you want to reload or not.

Sadly, this currently only works on Windows, as the Mac/Linux version of wxWidgets file system monitoring code were broken at the time. I should really fix this some time :)
I occasionally use it myself on a Mac, and just got into the habit of quitting the app after using it to avoid and conflicts.

T12z

Jan 3, 2020, 5:29:04 PM1/3/20
to TreeSheets
aaaahh, ok,

Am Mittwoch, 9. März 2016 01:32:47 UTC+1 schrieb Wouter:
Sadly, this currently only works on Windows, as the Mac/Linux version of wxWidgets file system monitoring code were broken at the time. I should really fix this some time :)
I occasionally use it myself on a Mac, and just got into the habit of quitting the app after using it to avoid and conflicts.

 at least this confirms my ever-so-odd observations of my latest edits being gone on Linux. :(

I do use syncthing (a peer-to-peer sync tool) with my treesheets and every now-and-then I forget to restart treesheets, when I change machines and the running instance is somewhere unnoticeable in the background.
This would be the one great feature to fix.
Otherwise, thanks for the sweet tool!

Thorsten