[Feature] Linked Cells

Nehemiah Jacob

Oct 24, 2013, 2:31:08 AM10/24/13
to trees...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I need a feature called 'Linked Cells'. I can link a cell to another cell. So that if I edit one cell the content of the other gets automatically updated. This situation will be much useful when I am working on Goals > Tasks > Subtasks tree. Other side I have another major tree called 'Todo' as daily task tracking. Most of the time my daily tasks is someway is from the subtasks from Goals tree. So instead of every time retyping I can link the cells. So that when I strike through the tasks as done in any location it will be updated as 'done' in the other place too.

We can extend this feature so that a cell can be linked to any number of cells so that all will be in sync with the latest value modified.

Linking can be done in two ways.

1. While being in a empty cell we need a option in the mouse right click saying "Bring content as cell link" and while mouse over that option the whole TreeSheet will be keep expanding step by step until the user selects the cell. Linked cells can be marked in Blue color with dotted underlined.

2. While being in a existing(original) cell a right click option saying "Place this as link in another cell" and the user can place this content into any other content wherever he wants

Regards
- nehemiah

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Oct 26, 2013, 3:37:24 PM10/26/13
to trees...@googlegroups.com
Such a feature is relatively expensive, as it changes TreeSheets from a tree to graph, which has consequences thruout for all operations that modify the tree. Don't think it will happen.

For the moment, the next best thing is "find matching cell" (F6). Simply copy paste any cells, and F6 will quickly cycle thru all of them. Not quite as good as simultaneous modification, but better than nothing.

Alternatively, what I do, is that my global todo list (what should I work on today) only has references to project names (conveniently jumpable with F6), and then any task/subtask management happens only wherever the project is located.

Wouter

Edmund Laugasson

Apr 20, 2020, 6:00:30 PM4/20/20
to TreeSheets
Hello,

What about referring to another cell inside one file? Would like not to write same information multiple times but refer the cell where it is written already.
----
Thank you,
Edmund

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Apr 21, 2020, 12:51:41 PM4/21/20
to trees...@googlegroups.com
You can refer to other cells simply by having two cells with the same word in them.
Then Edit -> Selection -> Go to matching cell (F6) hops between them.

Edmund Laugasson

Apr 21, 2020, 1:44:17 PM4/21/20
to trees...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for reply and good idea!
This is a bit different what we know today as linking but it seems like it is the workaround, probably even solution. I need to have separate cell containing only that word - then it works. This means that I need to nest the cell with F9 in order to bind certain text with one word to refer and find quickly with F6. Or just write in next of the appropriate cell the additional cell with that keyword. Nesting seems more accurate to refer precisely. I just need to find a way how to properly manage the layout of text in order to handle those keywords in order to link the information.

It is a bit different as you may see. E.g. in text I write words and usually I create link from certain word that refers to another part in same text. This is so e.g. in LibreOffice, Google Drive or in any similar software. Certainly then I am restricted with document structure as usually I can refer only titles, tables, drawings but not certain word, paragraph in another page on same document. Such keyword-based referring is probably even more flexible, have to try in practice.

Therefore having nested information in cell or enforced to entitle the text - makes pretty much the same. That F6 seems to work fast but haven't tested it in large document (tens of thousands of cells with lots of information).

This is true that TreeSheets changes the paradigm we know today, how to handle information, especially large amount of it.

21.04.20 19:51 Wouter van Oortmerssen:

Wouter van Oortmerssen

Apr 21, 2020, 3:11:35 PM4/21/20
to trees...@googlegroups.com
Yup, it's not quite the same as linking, but it is what we have :)

It's easier to set up, since it doesn't require the concept of a cell address, or even a special link type.
It supports cycling between 2 or 3 related cells, whereas links are only single step.

Edmund Laugasson

Apr 23, 2020, 1:36:18 PM4/23/20
to trees...@googlegroups.com
Downside is that when the cell is folded, using F6 will forcibly unfold it. In case of larger amount of folded data it can quite a mess up the whole document by unfolding matching cells. Would appreciate if going to matching cell could happen without touching folding.

21.04.20 22:11 Wouter van Oortmerssen:

Nehemiah Jacob

Apr 29, 2020, 6:03:24 PM4/29/20
to trees...@googlegroups.com
> Such a feature is relatively expensive, as it changes TreeSheets from a tree to graph, which has consequences thruout for all operations that modify the tree. Don't think it will happen.

Hi Wouter, I would like to know, what about maintaining a separate data structure which contains pointers of linked cells and original cells. And it does the syncing job at an interval say ever 1 sec or 10 sec or even update them only when there is an (human) observer  on a cell.

By maintaining the linkage details as separate structure, you can keep your original tree structure untouched.

Regards
- nehemiah jacob -

Wouter van Oortmerssen

May 9, 2020, 4:25:08 PM5/9/20
to trees...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 3:03 PM Nehemiah Jacob <nehemia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Such a feature is relatively expensive, as it changes TreeSheets from a tree to graph, which has consequences thruout for all operations that modify the tree. Don't think it will happen.

Hi Wouter, I would like to know, what about maintaining a separate data structure which contains pointers of linked cells and original cells. And it does the syncing job at an interval say ever 1 sec or 10 sec or even update them only when there is an (human) observer  on a cell.

By maintaining the linkage details as separate structure, you can keep your original tree structure untouched.

That makes it harder, if anything. Keep multiple data structures in sync is not easy, and you still need to somehow take into account in all existing operations "what if this is a link, or a link destination?" Unless you make all edge cases a user problem, which is not friendly either.

I think we'll be sticking with the current system, because it is simple and fairly versatile.

Martin Michel

May 9, 2020, 6:12:48 PM5/9/20
to TreeSheets

I think we'll be sticking with the current system, because it is simple and fairly versatile.

Yes, please, keep it simple!

I also need this feature and, for me, F6  is a good solution. Any time I need a link, I create a cell inside the two (or more) linked cells containing only an UUID. Then I cycle with F6 through all members. (I create & copy the UUID running `uuidgen | xsel -bi` from my Linux terminal and paste it into the cell directly from clipboard. Any UUID generator is fine).

Reading this thread reminds me of Antoine de Saint-Exupery, you know, this famous quote on perfection. Just a few weeks back, I have completely switch my personal information organization to TreeSheets and I really like it. Why? Over the years, I have gathered experience with very different approaches, latest try was org-mode where I also was quite proficient. But the concept of hierarchical trees beats everything so far and is still mind-blowing to me. And I guess a major appeal comes from its unique concept combined with exactly this simplicity. Which probably also contributes to the outstanding performance - a virtuous cycle?