Deeplink to full page ad

Mark

Nov 29, 2012, 6:28:51 AM11/29/12
to trees...@googlegroups.com

When I open the url (http://lab.scottkellum.com/seasons/sample-ad.html) directly there seems to be an issue with the the size op the viewer; too high and too wide (tested in Firefox and Chrome).
I wonder if there is a way to work around this issue.

Regards,

Mark

Andrea Campi

Nov 29, 2012, 7:03:22 AM11/29/12
to trees...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Mark <mvd...@gmail.com> wrote:

When I open the url (http://lab.scottkellum.com/seasons/sample-ad.html) directly there seems to be an issue with the the size op the viewer; too high and too wide (tested in Firefox and Chrome).

Meaning that the image runs out of the screen? I think that's a feature :) it looks like this experiment is demonstrating exactly that.

Either way, this has nothing to do with Treesaver. You should get in touch with Scott directly.

Andrea

Mark

Nov 29, 2012, 8:20:30 AM11/29/12
to trees...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrea,

Are you sure?
When I start at the cover (http://lab.scottkellum.com/seasons/) and navigate to the same page (one to the right) there is a margin around the image.

Another probably related feature: the smaller height of the cover at some resolutions (http://savory-demo-glossy.savory.io/one/cover)
Is there a way to get the cover (image) always the same height as the other pages?

Regards,

Mark

Andrea Campi

Nov 29, 2012, 8:34:50 AM11/29/12
to trees...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Mark <mvd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Adrea,

Are you sure?
When I start at the cover (http://lab.scottkellum.com/seasons/) and navigate to the same page (one to the right) there is a margin around the image.

I'm not sure—Scott would know, since this is his experiment :)
I can only guess, and my guess is that he was trying to create a "full page" experience that is good both with without Treesaver.

I'm not sure how much attention he pays to this mailing list these days, so your best bet is to bring this up with him directly.

Another probably related feature: the smaller height of the cover at some resolutions (http://savory-demo-glossy.savory.io/one/cover)
Is there a way to get the cover (image) always the same height as the other pages?

If you are ok with resizing the image in CSS, then sure.
You just need to add a cover grid that is not fixed in size, and let Treesaver stretch it like it does for other grids.
It's all under control of resources and CSS.

In our case, for the Savory theme we chose to give the publisher control over the quality of the image at each size—if they want, they can manually crop and sharpen them at each size.
That may give better results than the scaling browsers do—although these days browsers are pretty good at that.

Also don't forget about mobile users: Treesaver will only download the image file that it will actually use, helping reduce bandwidth usage.
This is possible with both approaches, but the latter makes it easier and more reliable.

Andrea

Mark

Nov 29, 2012, 9:11:28 AM11/29/12
to trees...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, I will ask Scott about his experiment.

It seems like the cover image in the savory magazine is already scaled (FF says for example: "Dimensions: 771px × 1,028px (scaled to 670px × 897px)"), but to a smaller height than the other pages. I will try to create a cover grid that is not fxed. Will be continued ... :)

Mark

Andrea Campi

Nov 29, 2012, 9:48:57 AM11/29/12
to trees...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Mark <mvd...@gmail.com> wrote:
It seems like the cover image in the savory magazine is already scaled (FF says for example: "Dimensions: 771px × 1,028px (scaled to 670px × 897px)"), but to a smaller height than the other pages. I will try to create a cover grid that is not fxed. Will be continued ... :)

You are right about that—I consider that a bug that we'll fix :)

Scott Kellum

Nov 29, 2012, 11:09:14 AM11/29/12
to trees...@googlegroups.com
You aren’t seeing the treesaver stuff in the direct link because treesaver doesn’t run when you link directly to this page. The page appears full screen because it is the only thing that is there.

I was trying to create a way to make standalone ads that can be injected into a Treesaver stream and behave differently. The only difference between the ad spot and other pages is that the links to the treesaver.js, resources, and other support files are missing from the sample-ad.html file. If you want it to work in the flow of things, just add the TS stuff back in.

Mark

Nov 29, 2012, 11:46:25 AM11/29/12
to trees...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clear explanation!