Clarification regarding DBpedia

94 views
Skip to first unread message

Laura Dietz

unread,
Aug 3, 2018, 11:49:24 AM8/3/18
to trec...@googlegroups.com

> I had a doubt regarding usage of Dbpedia , whether we can use it or
> not and if we can till what extend we can use Dbpedia.
>


Regarding DBpedia, you can use it, but:
1) when you upload the run you need to tick the box indicating that you
used DBpedia
2) You are not allowed to lookup the entity that refers to the query-title.
3) You are not allowed to use the "page links" dataset [1]  of dbpedia


[1] https://wiki.dbpedia.org/services-resources/documentation/datasets


sharma mukesh

unread,
Aug 6, 2018, 5:50:58 AM8/6/18
to TREC Car
Thank you for your reply. I have a specific question. Can we use link 'wikiPageWikiLink' in DBPedia? Explanation for this link is given as 'Link from a Wikipage to another Wikipage'
http://dbpedia.org/ontology/wikiPageWikiLink
'http://mappings.dbpedia.org/index.php/OntologyProperty:WikiPageWikiLink

Laura Dietz

unread,
Aug 6, 2018, 9:59:52 AM8/6/18
to trec...@googlegroups.com
On 08/06/2018 05:50 AM, sharma mukesh wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I have a specific question. Can we use link 'wikiPageWikiLink' in DBPedia? Explanation for this link is given as 'Link from a Wikipage to another Wikipage'
http://dbpedia.org/ontology/wikiPageWikiLink
'http://mappings.dbpedia.org/index.php/OntologyProperty:WikiPageWikiLink

No.






On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 9:19:24 PM UTC+5:30, Laura Dietz wrote:

> I had a doubt regarding usage of Dbpedia , whether we can use it or
> not and if we can till what extend we can use Dbpedia.
>


Regarding DBpedia, you can use it, but:
1) when you upload the run you need to tick the box indicating that you
used DBpedia
2) You are not allowed to lookup the entity that refers to the query-title.
3) You are not allowed to use the "page links" dataset [1]  of dbpedia


[1] https://wiki.dbpedia.org/services-resources/documentation/datasets


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TREC Car" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to trec-car+u...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to trec...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/trec-car/60f2dc8a-8ba3-4e4a-8211-4c1fe9fd995f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


sharma mukesh

unread,
Aug 6, 2018, 10:57:32 AM8/6/18
to TREC Car
"its not clear to me what is the exact reason why this information should not be used? because 'wikiPageWikiLink' is also one of the relations present in dbpedia as like any other relation linking entities? In what way this is different from the rest? I mean I know that it is linking entities that are also page titles. But it is not clear how this is going to 'illegally influence' the retrieval accuracy?"




On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 7:29:52 PM UTC+5:30, Laura Dietz wrote:
On 08/06/2018 05:50 AM, sharma mukesh wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I have a specific question. Can we use link 'wikiPageWikiLink' in DBPedia? Explanation for this link is given as 'Link from a Wikipage to another Wikipage'
http://dbpedia.org/ontology/wikiPageWikiLink
'http://mappings.dbpedia.org/index.php/OntologyProperty:WikiPageWikiLink

No.






On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 9:19:24 PM UTC+5:30, Laura Dietz wrote:

> I had a doubt regarding usage of Dbpedia , whether we can use it or
> not and if we can till what extend we can use Dbpedia.
>


Regarding DBpedia, you can use it, but:
1) when you upload the run you need to tick the box indicating that you
used DBpedia
2) You are not allowed to lookup the entity that refers to the query-title.
3) You are not allowed to use the "page links" dataset [1]  of dbpedia


[1] https://wiki.dbpedia.org/services-resources/documentation/datasets


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "TREC Car" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to trec-car+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Shajith Ikbal

unread,
Aug 7, 2018, 12:50:21 AM8/7/18
to TREC Car
Hi Laura, can you please comment on why the 'wikiPageWikiLink' information in DBPedia should not be used? or point me to somewhere that gives a clear explanation? We are focusing on "passage retrieval" task only for now. Since 'wikiPageWikiLink' is also a relation as like any other relation linking entities in the DBPedia (except that the entities being linked are also page titles) it is not clear how it can distinctively influence the retrieval accuracy different from that of using the other relation information in DBPedia. Thanks! 

Laura Dietz

unread,
Aug 7, 2018, 1:23:41 PM8/7/18
to trec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shajith,

Some of the test data is taken from Wikipedia. DBpedia is derived from WIkipedia. If you are using the wikiPagWikiLink, you are leaking test data into your training process. As a result you will get wonderful results that will not hold if you actually want to use your model in practice.

Clear?

Best,
Laura
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to trec-car+u...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to trec...@googlegroups.com.

Shajith Ikbal

unread,
Aug 8, 2018, 1:08:09 PM8/8/18
to TREC Car
Thanks Laura for your answer! I have follow-up questions:

1) Is this restriction on wikiPagWikiLink for both the tasks 'Passage Ranking' and 'Entity Ranking'?
2) My previous question is also about other relations in Dbpedia.. i.e., other relations in KG could also potentially leak out test data information similar to the wikiPageWikiLink. According to discussion in https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/trec-car/GDgB0qpIkUw we could use KGs such as Dbpedia, Freebase etc. Other knowledge bases that might have curated knowledge from the wikipedia could potentially reveal test data information too? In general any relation that point to some information within the test data is potentially a violation when we dont know how that relation is extracted in the first place. Is that not correct? 

Please clarify. Thanks!

best regards,
Shajith.


Laura Dietz

unread,
Aug 8, 2018, 4:34:16 PM8/8/18
to trec...@googlegroups.com

Both tasks.

You can use KG information that is based on the abstract. In any case we ask you to tick the box indicating that you used DBpedia.
Alternatively you can build you own knowledge base from "unprocessedAllButBenchmark-v2.1" which is "safe"

Best,
Laura
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to trec-car+u...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to trec...@googlegroups.com.

Rafael Glater

unread,
Aug 10, 2018, 10:12:19 AM8/10/18
to TREC Car
Hi, Laura! I still have some questions:

When you say "You are not allowed to look up the entity that refers to the query-title.", Is it means that we can't look up the entity at all? No additional related information?

  1. Can we use the ontology class and category information of the referred entity? ("DBpedia Ontology" and "Article Categories" datasets).
  2. And for the passage ranking, can we use the "mapping-based objects" dataset? This dataset contains information about the relations between entities found in the infoboxes.

None of these datasets are directly related to the paragraphs, so I believe we'll not be benefited during the tests...


Thanks!

Laura Dietz

unread,
Aug 10, 2018, 10:51:21 AM8/10/18
to trec...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rafael,

The goal is to develop a system that can fill query-outlines that do not already exist on Wikipedia. Therefore I ask you to not look up the outline-title on DBpedia. In fact, half of the benchmarkY2test topics  are not taken from Wikipedia, so any information that just directly looks up the page on DBpedia, then use information about the page (i.e., hyperlinks) is unlikely to work well for those topics.

I do however, encourage you to make use of other external knowledge, e.g. DBpedia (or unprocessedAllButBenchmark) to estimate what the outline is about and extract language patterns.

We encourage you to use information from infoboxes, articles, categories -- just not of the page that corresponds to the query title.

Note, that we both offer an entity ranking task and a passage ranking task.

Is it means that we can't look up the entity at all?
You must not look up the query's exact DBpedia entry. -- Because (1) in any realistic application of this system such an entry does not exist and (2) such a setup would not be a research relevant task, as we already know how to build algorithms that match a DBpedia entry by title.

Best,
Laura
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to trec-car+u...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to trec...@googlegroups.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages