Major Cities Committee Updates

Danielle Elkins

Mar 31, 2020, 11:15:10 AM3/31/20
to trb-major-cit...@googlegroups.com

Hello Members and Friends of the Major Cities Committee,

Updates:

  1. TRB "Tell Us 'Our' Story Centennial Challenge
  2. New NACTO COVID-19 Transportation Response Center
  3. World Resource Institute Demand Responsive Transit (DRT) Survey

----------------------------------

TRB would like to get as many responses as possible to the following three questions, which are part of TRB’s April, May, and June “Tell Us ‘Our’ Story” Centennial Challenge.

The deadline to respond to any or all of these questions is July 1, 2020.

The TRB “Tell Us ‘Our’ Story" Centennial Challenge is designed to allow as many of TRB’s volunteers and friends as possible to participate in the TRB Centennial Celebration through the submission of their stories, which make up the TRB story.

In addition to posting responses to these questions on its website and publicizing them via its social media channels, TRB will be producing banners that will display some of the responses to these questions at various 2021 Annual Meeting venues.

The links above give the option to submit a response in writing (200 words or less) or provide a YouTube link to a short video (60 seconds or less) respondents take with a smart phone.  If submitting a written response, respondents are asked to upload a photo of themselves that will be displayed with their quote.

More information on the Tell Us “Our” Story Challenge is available on TRB’s Centennial Website at https://trbcentennial.nationalacademies.org/tell-us-our-story

If folks have question or need more information, they should feel free to contact me at Rhou...@nas.edu.

-------------------------------------

NACTO Announces the COVID-19 Transportation Response Center, an online resource hub for city transportation staff, officials, and leaders. The Transportation Response Center is a public tool for cities to learn from one another and develop the most effective responses to this evolving global crisis. It provides actionable examples of how cities around the world are addressing critical tasks, such as:

• Helping healthcare and other essential workers get safely where they need to go while protecting transit operators and other front-line city staff
• Creating pick-up/delivery zones to ensure that residents can access food and essential goods
• Opening, and in some cases, closing, public space to enhance social distancing
• Deploying effective public communications, messaging, and signage

This NACTO resource will continue evolving as the landscape changes. It currently includes examples and links to specific city actions, and will expand with additional resources—quick videos, case studies, webinars, and help applying for FEMA, stimulus, and other federal aid—as the response to COVID-19 develops.

The World Resources Institute is developing an initiative to better understand how technologies are shaping new transportation services. This effort includes a study on Demand Responsive Transit (DRT) or bus on-demand systems, a rapidly growing solution that is providing even more transportation alternatives in cities. This label, however, comprises a wide variety of types of services, levels of integration, business models and institutional arrangements.

As part of the study, we are conducting a survey among different actors involved in the service provision of DRT systems in several countries. We invite you to participate by answering a questionnaire that should take you less than 10 minutes. The information you provide will help our researchers understand the current development and the potential of this emerging transportation service.

There are cases where the same provider is present in multiple cities, so it is important to highlight that if your organization operates in more than one city, please refer to each specific city when answering the survey. In case you will answer the survey for more than one city/system (for which we will be enormously grateful!), please fill a complete survey for each city/system separately.

To answer the survey, use the link below:
https://forms.gle/U3pSDHUH6rpJwPtJA

Stay safe inside,

Danielle Elkins

The Committee Formerly Known as ABE 30 Communications Chair

dani...@civicideation.com