Annual Meeting Preparations + Committee Future

Stephanie Dock

Dec 20, 2019, 2:24:19 PM12/20/19
to TRB Major Cities Committee
Hello Members and Friends of the Major Cities Committee,

The Annual Meeting is around the corner!

Our committee meeting will be on Tuesday morning, bright and early:
Tuesday, January 14, 2020
8am-9:45am
Liberty M (M4) in the Marriott Marquis

Agenda for that session attached, as well as a listing of all the sessions we are sponsoring or co-sponsoring. Two workshops to highlight:
  • Aimee Jefferson is coordinating a great workshop on Speed Management on Sunday morning and just sent out the flyer for that. Attached again here!
  • The War Games workshop is still recruiting for volunteers. This workshop forms up teams in advance, so you need to plan for this now. The most volunteers are needed for Chicago, Tribal, Detroit, Seattle, Denver, and San Francisco. Volunteers do not have to be from these regions, but it is good to have some local expertise supporting. Flyer attached. Contact Steve Woelfel and Nate Higgins if you want to get involved.
  • The Nudging the Commute workshop on Thursday is also looking for some volunteers and a possible live tweet-er. Please reach out to me if you want to get involved and/or are a Twitter fiend who wants to lend your services to the @TRBMajorCities handle this TRB.
Restructuring
The other big item of news that you should have seen from TRB in your inbox yesterday is the update on the strategic alignment effort. Our committee is slated to become a "coordinating council," which is a new type of entity meant to promote integrated approaches to address complex, multimodal, and multidisciplinary issues faced by a type of jurisdictional entity, geographic area, or major demographic group. A major portion of our committee meeting will be spent discussing what this change will mean for us and how we can best leverage this new status. It is a change, but one that is meant to recognize that our work is cross-cutting. Strong partnerships with committees on related topics will be key to continuing to advance our agenda. I hope you will take some time to review the new structure before the annual meeting.

For those not able to attend the committee meeting, I still want your involvement and feedback in this process. Part of our discussion at the meeting will be how to best engage our large friend base in this process (there are over 700 friends in myTRB and over 900 people on our email list!) and leverage the broad appeal this committee has had. If you have thoughts on how to approach that engagement (or just want to share your thoughts generally on this), please feel free to reach out to me in advance.

Looking forward to seeing some of you in January and thank you all for your interest in and support of the Transportation Issues in Major Cities Committee!

Happy Holidays to all,
Stephanie
ABE30 Chair
ABE30 AM2020 Flyer 122019.pdf
2020TRB-Workshop1004-1033-SpeedV4-12062019.pdf
WarGames_Invite Flier_20190719.pdf