DDOT Research Project Survey Assistance

drew.pflaumer

Oct 6, 2023, 4:41:08 PM10/6/23
to TRB City Transportation Issues

Hello TRB City Transportation Issues Coordinating Council,

We here at DDOT are looking for some assistance on one of our research projects. If you wouldn't mind giving us a hand by filling out a short survey on quick-build curb extension projects, we would greatly appreciate it! Below is the announcement text and survey link.

Some agencies have begun to implement quick-build or demonstration curb extensions using impermanent materials like flex posts and paint. These “tactical” curb extensions aim to improve pedestrian safety and comfort at a fraction of the cost of permanent curb extensions / bulb-outs. Some of these quick-build curb extensions also include mural art. However, there is limited research on their impact on safety or comfort for pedestrians at the locations where they have been installed.

Researchers at Portland State University and University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill are conducting a scan to identify locations where curb extensions, including quick-build curb extensions with mural art, have been installed, and we hope to enlist your help!

Please complete this survey (https://portlandstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3ad1STsinrfvr6e) by Oct 21st. Your input is critical to this research – thank you for taking the time (5-10 minutes) to respond. Please feel free to forward this survey to others in your agency that may have relevant information to share with us.

If you have any questions about the survey or the study, please contact Sirisha Kothuri by email (skot...@pdx.edu). Thank you in advance for your participation!

Thank you,
Drew Pflaumer
Research Program Administrator