November update: December events, Annual Meeting preparations

Stephanie Dock

Nov 24, 2015, 5:24:03 PM11/24/15
to TRB Major Cities Committee
Hello Members and Friends of the Major Cities committee,

As November comes to a close, TRB is getting closer! But first, we have some activities in December.

1. Next Webinar Dec. 10th: Future Directions for Multimodal Research and Practice
Join us for the next webinar in our series - Multimodality in Major Cities: Urban Success Stories. This webinar will focus on the most recent technological developments that facilitate multimodal transportation. The webinar will provide knowledge on current research advancements in urban multimodal transportation, and the challenges of overcoming the gap between research and practice.

Date: Wednesday, December 9, from 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm (Eastern Time)
Register in advance: http://www.trb.org/main/blurbs/173239.aspx

Speakers:
  • Kristine Williams, Center for Urban Transportation Research at University of South Florida
  • Darby Watson, Seattle Department of Transportation
  • John Gordon, Metro
  • Tiffany Chu, Remix
Note that this webinar is sponsored by TRB, so there is a fee for non-TRB Sponsor or non-TRB Sustaining Affiliate employees. You must register in advance.

2. Committee Conference Call, Dec. 14th
Monday, December 14, 3-4pm ET
Join us for an update on committee activities and preparations for the Annual Meeting. Agenda and call-in number will be sent soon.

3. Annual Meeting Sessions Posted to Website
The Interactive Program is now available! We have posted the list of sessions our committee is sponsoring or co-sponsoring to the committee website. We hope you will be joining us for many of our sessions. And a head's up that the committee meeting will be on Wednesday, January 13 at 2:30pm.

Happy Thanksgiving from DC,

Stephanie Dock
ABE30 Committee Communications Coordinator

Stephanie Dock

Nov 30, 2015, 4:28:33 PM11/30/15
to TRB Major Cities Committee
As your TRB planning continues, we have two more workshops that might be of interest to our members. Note that the second one is on Saturday, before the main conference begins.

1. Analyze This! Three Unsolved Planning Mysteries (Sunday, 9am-12pm)

Please join us Sunday Morning at TRB for a new kind of workshop: Analyze This! Three Unsolved Planning Mysteries. Our world is changing and so are the questions being asked by companies, planners, and decision-makers. Help us solve some newly released planning mysteries on the non-fiction best seller list by participating in this interactive TRB workshop. We selected three problems from dozens of submissions that are corporate, local, and regional in scope and require a diversity of expertise to solve. Working in small, problem-specific teams, workshop participants will develop a strategy to share with the audience, compare and evaluate their peers, and collectively develop some next steps and potential research directions.

Report in person to: Workshop #114 Sunday, January 10, 2016 • 9 AM – 12 PM • D.C. Convention Center

We will be releasing a new mystery on "Mystery Mondays" each week in December on our website in order to promote dialog ahead of time about how to approach the problems. The first mystery will be revealed on December 7th so stay tuned...
http://adb50.github.io/analyze-this and on Twitter #trbanalyzethis

2. Envisioning Automated Transit (SATURDAY, 10-4)
The Advanced Transit Association (ATRA) is sponsoring a workshop “Envisioning Automated Transit"  - EAT - on Saturday, January 9, 10:00 - 4:00 the day before the TRB Annual Meeting. It will take place at the University of Maryland. Full information can be found at:  http://www.advancedtransit.org/library/news/technix-2016-envision-automated-transit-eat/. We invite you to explore urban applications of new automated transit ideas with others from multiple professional disciplines. The workshop is based on the successful workshops at the 2014 and 2015 TRB/AUVSI Automated Vehicle conference.

Please see the attached flyer.

ATRA is also seeking sponsors and as a scenario discussion leaders. Any suggestions for site or scenarios are welcome! Contact Shannon Sanders McDonald, smcd...@siu.edu, if you are interested in helping out.

-Stephanie Dock
ABE30 Committee Communications Coordinator
Technix Advert Version A4.pdf