Major Cities Committee Updates/War Games

Danielle Elkins

Oct 22, 2019, 5:31:23 PM10/22/19
to trb-major-cit...@googlegroups.com

Hello Members and Friends of the Major Cities Committee,

Updates:

1.       Mid-Year Meeting Minutes (Attached)

2.       Strategic War Games Workshop recruitment (details below & attached)

3.       BTS has a cool new map on micromobility: https://www.bts.gov/topics/passenger-travel/bikeshare-and-e-scooters. The interactive map pulls together data from docked, dockless, and e-scooters from 2015 to 2019.

Urgent Call for Workshop Participation and Support!

*The group will be bringing together the leads in the next few days to go over what to expect and how to make an effective outcome! EMAIL ASAP if you are willing to assist and in what capacity – lead or attend.

Please let Steve Woelfel (steve....@state.ma.us) and Nathan Higgins (nhig...@camsys.com) know if you are interested!

There will again this year be a “Strategic War Games” Workshop led by the Strategic Management Committee. This has been a great workshop over the past couple years with teams developing solutions and then pitching them to a panel of judges. Each team will have an opportunity to review a briefing book, draft personas, and compete to craft strategies for meeting the transportation needs of a changing demographic. The attached flyer has more information.

This year, the focus is going to be more geographically-focused around urban areas. That’s where our committee can shine – we need folks representing these regions to participate in the workshop (generally 1 per region) as the local expert.  There is also an opportunity to join the teams with your expertise in other areas.

Specifically, we would like to field tables from these regions (chosen for their geographic and demographic diversity):

·         Pittsburgh, PA

·         Cleveland, OH

·         Buffalo, NY

·         Chicago, IL

·         Tribal (lead needed)

·         Raleigh, NC (lead needed)

·         Detroit, MI

·         Seattle, WA (lead needed)

·         Denver, CO (lead needed)

·         Arkansas/Rural

·         Orlando, FL

·         San Francisco, CA

We need to recruit 8-10 diverse experts for each table, see attached flyer for subjects.

* Extended Review for Publication by the Transportation Research Record (TRR) Editorial Board

Starting in 2019, papers recommended for publication will move to an additional review process under the newly formed TRR Editorial Board.

TRB Committees will still review and accept meeting papers for presentation, but your required duties will end with the recommendation deadline (Oct 1). Committees will no longer be responsible for re-review and final publication decisions; therefore, the minimum number of reviews has been reduced to 2. Your recommendations will be based on the quality of the research, and not on a 20% paper quota per committee. We will be providing criteria for recommendations later this month. You can access an FAQ document about the changes at http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/TRREM/EdBoardFAQ_15July.pdf

Chairs, Reviewers, and Review Coordinators may, but are not obliged to, indicate that they would be willing to participate in the extended review.

We hope these changes will alleviate the time restraints imposed by the Annual Meeting schedule and give authors adequate time to revise their work. The Board will be able to request additional rounds of review, and we can implement and support industry trends like data access and sharing. We believe this additional attention will elevate the research to its highest potential. The journal will also open for year-round publication submission after the August 1 deadline for presentations, with full review being done by the new board.

Thank you,
Danielle Elkins

dani...@civicideation.com

New Communications chair here! Please reach out if you would like to get more involved in the ABE 30 Committee Communications. Especially looking for help taking meeting minutes and sharing on social media.

WarGames_Invite Flier_20190719.pdf
ABE 30 Committee Meeting Minutes 9.1.2019-FINAL.pdf