Mental break for the transit mapping types

Catala, Martin

Jan 6, 2014, 2:40:25 PM1/6/14
to trans...@lists.cutr.usf.edu, TRB ABJ60

Greeting everyone and Happy New Year.

I sincerely hope all of you had a safe and relaxing break.  As many of you are probably getting back into the swing of things you may need a short break or distraction to freshen you mind up for the remainder of the day.

So below are links to articles that I thought our listserv members might find of interest.   (my apologies if you are on both lists)

Map of Global Winds

This first link doesn’t have much to do with Public Transit but is an amazing web application illustrating the wind around the globe. Great illustration and it is a web application.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-93.68,40.69,512

Phone Based LIDAR

The next link is from the world of “you can do that with a phone”.  It is a phone based LIDAR.  Kind of amazing.

http://www.ikegps.com/spike.  While I am not endorsing any product here I simply find it amazing that this type of technology is becoming more available.  Star Trek is coming true.

Innovative Maps from TheAtlanticCities.com

This next link is for the map geek inside all of us.  I found this through the Human Transit Blog post and was authored by the folks at TheAtlanticCities.com website.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/technology/2013/12/most-innovative-maps-2013/7952/

Migration Visualization

Fascinating visualization tool to reveal migration patterns in the U.S.  Just a nice and creative visual.

http://vizynary.com/2013/11/18/restless-america-state-to-state-migration-in-2012/

How to have great ideas a scientific approach

And if you are looking at these and wish you had come up with them this post from LifeHacker.com suggests there are steps you can take to improve the generation of ideas.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-have-great-ideas-more-often-according-to-scienc-1476608430

I hope you enjoyed these and inspire a creative solution break for the rest of your day.

Enjoy and have a great day!

Martin Catala

Director Advanced Geo-Spatial & Informatics Lab

Center for Urban Transportation Research

University of South Florida

4202 E. Fowler Ave (CUT100)

Tampa, FL 33620

813-974-9791 (o)