WORKSHOP ON BIG DATA AND URBAN INFORMATICS 11-12 AUGUST 2014, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, USA

Harvey Miller

Feb 11, 2014, 9:21:16 AM2/11/14
to trb-...@googlegroups.com

CALL FOR PAPERS ON BIG DATA AND URBAN INFORMATICS

WORKSHOP ON BIG DATA AND URBAN INFORMATICS WITH SUPPORT FROM NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION, 11-12 AUGUST 2014, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, USA

Big Data has opened up several opportunities to obtain new insights on cities. We invite papers at the intersection of the urban social sciences and the data sciences to be presented in an NSF-sponsored workshop to be held on Aug 11-12, 2014, in the University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois. We hope that the workshop will generate discussions in this emerging area of research, with the goal of long-term community-building on the topic. Travel funds will be available for presenters.

 We welcome papers that discuss research results as well as idea pieces of work in progress which highlight research needs and data limitations. Workshop papers will be published in an online workshop proceeding. Selected papers will be published, after additional peer-review, in an edited book.

The objective of the workshop is to bring together researchers with an interest in the use of Big Data for urban analysis. The focus will be on understanding of urban systems, and related examples of urban applications, methods and tools. We are seeking papers that clearly create or use such novel sources of information for urban and regional analysis. Urban and regional analysis spans a broad range of areas. A far from complete list of areas include transportation, environment, public health, land-use, housing, economic development, labor markets, criminal justice, population demographics, urban ecology, energy, community development and public participation.

We invite original research, including position papers, on theoretical developments and applications demonstrating the use of urban Big Data, and the next-generation of Big Data services, tools and technologies for urban informatics. We are interested in papers that use Big Data in one or more of the following five themes:

1)      Theoretical developments and knowledge discovery in urban systems;

2)      Planning and operational uses of urban Big Data;

3)      Urban Big Data measurement, analysis and methodological questions;

4)      Information management for urban informatics;

5)      Institutional issues, organizations, networks and infomediaries in urban Big Data.

Travel funds of up to $700 will be available for a single presenter per paper, on a reimbursement basis. Student presenters will be able to compete for an additional limited pool of funds, for upto an additional $250 per student presenter.

 Dates: Extended abstracts of 750-1000 words are due April 1, 2014. Full papers for accepted presenters will be due July 15, 2014.

 For more information on the workshop, please visit http://urbanbigdata.uic.edu/workshop-2014/call-for-papers/

 For additional information, please contact Prof. Nebiyou Tilahun at ntil...@uic.edu