T&T: Volvo PEnta Marine Coolant

Gary Hagstrom via Trawlers-and-Trawlering

Feb 21, 2019, 10:51:21 AM2/21/19
to List
After numerous requests and back and forth emails I finally got the following response from Volvo PEnta regarding antifreeze.  Those of you with their engines should find this useful.  There are some very specific does and don'ts for various engines.

Fresh water cooled marine engines

Volvo Penta has gradually transitioned to a new type of coolant, Volvo Penta Coolant VCS (yellow) that contains
new inhibitors suited for the materials used in more modern engines. VCS (yellow) offers better protection against
corrosion and the build-up of deposits; it counteracts cavitation and galvanic corrosion.
This means Volvo Penta engines will have two types of coolant in the future, Volvo Penta Coolant (green) and
Volvo Penta Coolant VCS (yellow).
The introduction of VCS (yellow) was carried out as follows:
– D13 marine at model year change from 2010 to 2011 (D13 EVC-D),
– D16 marine, week 27, 2010
– D1, D2, D3, week 19, 2011
– D4/D6, week 22, 2011
– Industrial engines, New Year 2011

IMPORTANT!
Under no circumstances mix VCS (yellow) with
Volvo Penta Coolant (green) or other coolant.
Engines filled with VCS (yellow) will have yellow decals as external distinguishing features, e.g. the coolant filler cap will be surrounded by a yellow decal; see
image.
Coolant filters may not be used in combination with
VCS (yellow); coolant filters will not be fitted to new
industrial engines filled with VCS (yellow).

Earlier engines must continue to use Volvo Penta Coolant (green), with the exception of the following:
D1, D2, D3, D4/D6, D13 Marine, D16 Marine and TWD1643GE.
Volvo Penta Coolant VCS (yellow) may not be used in any engines that are not mentioned in this Service bulletin.
VCS (yellow) is manufactured using different technology and has inhibitors that may not be mixed chemically
with other coolants such as Volvo Penta Coolant (grön).

NOTICE! In the case of D1, D2, D3, D4/D6 engines already delivered with Volvo Penta Coolant (green) we
recommend that the coolant be replaced with till Volvo Penta Coolant (yellow) as a preventive measure
Before replacing coolant we recommend that the cooling system be flushed with fresh water by running the engine
until the thermostat opens. If the replacement is in connection with impaired cooling performance, the cooling
system must be cleaned to remove deposits and green coolant residues.

As Volvo Penta only tests our coolants that meet our specs we cannot recommend or give advice on other brands.

Our coolants are available at all gas or diesel marine dealers, and are available for purchase online.

Gary Hagstrom

Iron River, Wisconsin

Trawlers & Trawlering and T&T are trademarks of Water World
Productions. Unauthorized use is prohibited.