Shwedagon breaks tourism record in 2012 Source: Weekly 11 online

Than Tun Oo

Jan 5, 2013, 2:54:04 AM1/5/13
to travelmyanmar
Shwedagon breaks tourism record in 2012

Published on Thursday, 03 January 2013 17:43

bi5-40-nc011

Foreign tourist arrivals to Myanmar’s Shwedagon Pagoda reached the
300,000 mark in 2012, statistics show.

The number of tourists visiting the Buddhist monument in Yangon has
been steadily increasing with 70,000 visitors in 2008, 110,000 in
2009, 170,000 in 2010, 220,000 in 2011.

“Foreign tourist arrivals to the Shwedagon Pagoda are increasing. I
think the arrival of local pilgrims and foreign tourists will stay the
same,” said Win Kying, head of members of Buddha Trustees office.

In 2013, most of the tourists came from the UK, France, and Russia.
Other tourists from 57 countries in Southeast Asia, Europe, Africa,
North America, South America and other smaller countries also paid
homage to the pagoda.

“Since Myanmar has democratised and opened doors to foreign
investment, more foreign tourists are entering the country,” a
spokesperson the Buddha Trustees office said.

Tourist donations reached over US$1.4 million in 2012.
Source:: Weekly 11 online

Win - Cambodia

Jan 7, 2013, 1:35:20 AM1/7/13
to travel...@googlegroups.com

So, with that  $1.4Million, does they increase more toilets? While tourist is using the toilet next to the lift, the guide or local still has to run all the way to half kilo meter.

No comments = Nothing changed
More comments = Complaints

:-)
WZ

Nansein Than

Jan 20, 2013, 3:39:01 AM1/20/13
to travel...@googlegroups.com
It's a shame! They always express how much income do they get from
tourism but they they can't even support enough toilets neither all
the air ports nor at the tourists' site!
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/travelmyanmar/-/DZTRYrX0f9QJ.

khin thidar

Jan 20, 2013, 10:48:37 AM1/20/13
to travel...@googlegroups.com
And also they don't care Guides' Voice. They totally ignore. They think guides are non important matters.

Nyi Nyi ®

Feb 7, 2013, 9:16:07 PM2/7/13
I do know at least where they spend the money. They are installing "disco lights" in Shwe Dagon pagoda so tourists can enjoy "juxtaposition" art" of "Buddhism" and "Disco." Can anyone influence on this to stop? "Disco lights" are "Big Time" in Myanmar. I don't know what's going on. To me, it's somewhat like "Royal elephant in wooden bell" - အျမင္မေတာ္ဆင္ေတာ္ႏွင့္ခေလာက္။ This reminds me Buddha Bar.

Ko Nyi Nyi

Feb 8, 2013, 1:06:36 AM2/8/13
to travel...@googlegroups.com
လပ္စ္ ဗီးဂပ္ ဗုဒၥလို.လဲ တခ်ို.ကအမည္ေပးသြားျကပါသဗ် ..မီးေရာင္စံုေတြ
၀င္း၀င္းလက္လက္နဲ.ဆိုေတာ.