Re: MTT should become a public company.

Rain Man

Jan 4, 2013, 11:30:46 PM1/4/13
to travelmyanmar
100% agreed!

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 12:57 AM, Sonny <sonn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Figure 4 illustrates the current structure and staffing of the MoHT, which is essentially divided into two components: planning and regulation; and, travel services (Myanmar Travels and Tours (MTT) – a tour operations service). It is noted this structure, or rather having a sectionthat provides tour services, is unusual and is not common practice in most market oriented economies where tour operations are left entirely to the private sector.

http://www.myanmar.travel/images/pdf/sector-assessment-working-draft-9-nov.pdf

On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:11:19 AM UTC+6:30, Sonny wrote:

Myanmar Travels and Tours (MTT) should become a public company. Ministry can have certain interest in this set up but should not be a competitor to Travel Companies. It is a conflict of interest.

http://www.thithtoolwin.com/2012/11/blog-post_3666.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thithtoolwin%2FyIWV+%28%E1%80%9E%E1%80%85%E1%80%B9%E1%80%91%E1%80%B0%E1%80%B8%E1%80%9C%E1%80%BC%E1%80%84%E1%80%B9%29

Now Myanmar is heading towards clean government and having a conflicting economic interest with private companies can lead to many problems especially if the target market is more or less the same. Although there is no abuse or no report of abuse from MTT, it is more true if the government body is also a licensing or an apparatus for licensing body has business interest in line with its licensees. There must be a transparent objective and organization structure in such government body.

Win Zaw - AE

Jan 7, 2013, 3:12:22 AM1/7/13
to travel...@googlegroups.com
This is the reason you still have to pay so called "Royalty Fees" (this is how it spells on their letter), 10000Kyats per person per day, IF the basic of 2 person x 6 days to Mindat, the unnecessary cost of: 120,000. Just for nothing. Not sure where that money goes for what?

I still do not get the point of ROYALTY FEE till now. Any comments?

Cheers,
WZ

kyikyi aye

Jan 7, 2013, 3:37:30 AM1/7/13
to travel...@googlegroups.com
Ah...royalty fees...any standard rules ?
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/travelmyanmar/-/RnGPSS_eZH0J.

Daw Kyi Kyi Aye
Tourism Consultant
10B, R202, Dagon Lwin Street,
Myittanyunt, Tamwe, Yangon
Tel: (95 1) 559252/ 541769
Mobile: 095062365
Email: kyikyi...@gmail.com

Rain Man

Jan 7, 2013, 4:47:56 AM1/7/13
to travelmyanmar
To me it is a mere extortion!

Aye Min Oo

Jan 7, 2013, 5:04:50 AM1/7/13
to travel...@googlegroups.com
In Kawthaung, we have to pay 80$ for Lampi and below islands, Above 11Degree line we pay 120USD per person who stay 5 days. 10$ for extra days (more than 5 starter days).

Kawthaung MTT collect the fee with MTT voucher and then they said they have to deposit in the Government Bank who only accept pristine US dollar notes. They did not even accept FEC then.

When Tourists want to go upcountry eg. Dawei / Myeik from Kawthaung, we have to get permission from MTT where MTT processed these requests for 25$ per pax.

There is no hope for any change any time soon.

There is no wonder we have only about 2000 pax a year through Kawthaung to the islands. There is several times capacity for more toursts. We have more than 20 islands for adventure and snorkeling tour but people opted for Phuket and Similan islands. If I am not wrong Phuket receives about 8 million tourists.

Kawthaung Entry point definitely need consideration to include in the Master Plan. Hope Daw Kyi Kyi Aye has something to say about this.

Best regards,

Sonny
--

Aye (mr.)
Payment Coordinator

kyikyi aye

Jan 7, 2013, 9:45:02 PM1/7/13
to travel...@googlegroups.com
Paul Rogers and I visited Kawthaung in Phase 1 and we understand the
potential of the area.
I understand your strong appetite for change but needless to say
this change is inevitable which need to be accompanied by the desire
to learn from the mistakes of others. Bear in mind that adjusting to
the development realities (eg. climate change and environmental
degradation ) for a balanced development is a great challenge for
mankind.
Myanmar is recognized as a vast country with resourceful tourism
assets. In addition to international gateways by air, we have entry
points along the borders sharing with neighbouring countries. We have
flagship destinations which receive the the bulk of IVA and still
remains minimal in the north and south of the country.
Myeik Archipelago, for instance, has hundreds of islands, among which
as you say 20 for tourism. So, understanding the environmental
impacts, there is a range of responsibilities to ensure, esp.
supportive to biodiversity conservation in and around protected areas,
so this range which is quite broad does not lie solely under the
purview of one Ministry or Department of the Government. Marketing and
promotion alone will not help to develop a destination, I strongly
feel that we are all responsible to raise first public awareness of
the benefits and constraints of the tourism activity followed by
facilitating and embracing tourism activity.
The Master Plan , as I said before, is "work in progress" ; the key
issues under the strategic pillars will be identified with
recommendations for a responsible and sustainable tourism
development.

Win Zaw - AE

Jan 8, 2013, 11:27:21 PM1/8/13
to travel...@googlegroups.com
The point is "it was never clear on what purpose they ask for" Is that for development of the destination?, is that for administrative fees? is that for Staff's funds? No one knows. It  is not just this department, Same like Airport Service Charge that includes in the airticket for the development of airport, maintenance, cleanness, facilities, right? but since when our domestic terminals are being upgraded? clean?

At Yangon domestic terminal, every morning, all aircrafts from those 6 domestic airlines depart more or less the same time between 6 -8 am, there are hundreds of passengers, at the same time hundreds of porters who carry the luggage while chewing betel nuts. No wonder the airport is crowded and smelly, disgusting. No luggage trolly are provided or limited or are not allow to take them till the parking, (so they need porters again).

Comments again are similar like chicken and egg story, -No tourist, no plans, so no plan, no tourist. For sure everyone has responsibility for what they are doing. To develop any destination, you have to start with a fair policy for those who can invest the basic needs for the tourist. Then, licensing, policies, tax, those will follow automatically.

There are so many officials traveling those airports either domestic or international, but who cares? Once you talk to them, "Oh ya ya, we know, BUT......" They are the one who has authorized to give official comments for better or worse, they don't even bother. Shame on them.

So, master plan is still master plan, it is always good to have it (no doubt). BUT, meanwhile, there are so much things can be done or improved. Dont take those as complaints, but take as COMPLIMENTS and consider to take an action, one by one, step by step. If you wait a complete master plan, (it will still take time to understand what are those,), you will never able to start, right? so, start wherever you can do for good things. :-)

All the best.
WZ

Sonny

Jan 8, 2014, 1:52:05 AM1/8/14
to travel...@googlegroups.com
Although Myanmar Travel and Tours ceased to exist as a business, it is not clear how the name will be used in the business sector. Staff are already notified and re-located. MTT offices countrywide will be under Directorate serving only as Government not as Business. This is a welcome decison as it cleared the conflict of interest in the travel industry.