How to support flood victims in the long term?

Barbara Schott

Aug 5, 2015, 4:40:25 AM8/5/15
to Travel Myanmar (Tourism information, activities, idea exchange inside Burma)
Dear all,

I am wondering if you have any concrete ideas or proposals where and how flood victims can be supported after the flooding recedes. I think it is important to also think of the time after and am trying to find some funds and support outside of Myanmar. If you have any recommendations or ideas for collaboration on this, please get in touch.

Best regards,
Barbara

Nyi Nyi ®

Aug 5, 2015, 4:56:03 AM8/5/15
to Travel Myanmar (Tourism information, activities, idea exchange inside Burma)
Hi Barbara, I agree that the aftermath is as important as it is now. I will focus more on these three area first ; (a) Rebuilding "toilet" facilities in those flooded areas
(b) Clean water access - Such as drilling tube well/ water ponds, (c) Cleaning/sanitizing public "school/clinic facilities" and reinforce with amenities (children should be able to go to school after all.)

Hope this helps. Frankie

Barbara Schott

Aug 6, 2015, 9:46:41 AM8/6/15
to Travel Myanmar (Tourism information, activities, idea exchange inside Burma)
Hi Frankie,

thanks, and agree. Access to medical services, water and hygiene conditions will be vital. Can you put me in touch with someone who I could work with or even you?

Best regards,
Barbara

Rain Man

Aug 6, 2015, 11:34:35 PM8/6/15
to travelmyanmar
Dear Babara,

Thank you in advance on behalf of our countrymen for wising to help. I am no expert in this field though I would like to come up with my humble ideas as follows:

1) Assessment of affected areas so as to determine the most pressing needs and concerns in order of urgency. (Local NGOs should be able to help with data collection. Hopefully some governmental bodies will also give a hand though I personally do not think much of them!).

2) Establishment of management centers in strategic locations  whence logistical needs and distribution of aid are to be administered.

3) Invitation of local young volunteers who I am sure are willing to work for free and learn.

4) Educate the victims as to how the programs work and what kind of collaboration is anticipated from them.

As far as I know in some areas the victims have lost everything - homes, stored food, clothes, rice-fields under crops and livestock. So I can imagine the tasks of rebuilding those communities are of mammoth proportions.

I hope this would be of help to a little extent.

Thanks and all the best,
Moe