Myanmar says main airport needs urgent upgrade

Nyi Nyi ®

Oct 26, 2012, 3:06:23 AM10/26/12
to travel...@googlegroups.com

YANGON — Myanmar aviation officials on Thursday urged the private sector to help upgrade its main international airport, with passenger numbers poised to surge beyond its capacity.

Yangon International Airport will exceed its limit of 2.7 million passengers this year, prompting Tin Naing Tun, head of the Department of Civil Aviation, to warn it needs "upgrading urgently."

Hidden from the world for decades under a brutal military junta, the Southeast Asian nation has seen an influx of tourists and business travellers in recent months, attracted by a swathe of changes under a new reformist regime.

"We estimate 1.7 million international passengers this year. Adding the 1.1 million average local passengers for 2012... we will receive 2.8 million passengers this year," added Nweni Win Kyaw, an assistant director at the civil aviation department.

Wanna read more? ... Click to this link