Myanmar launches destination management plan for Inle Lake

Thomas Latt

Oct 15, 2014, 12:57:13 AM10/15/14
to travelmyanmar

Wednesday 15th October 2014

Myanmar launches destination management plan for Inle Lake

Myanmar's Institute for Integrated Development and the Ministry of Hotels and Tourism has revealed details of its first ever destination management plan, designed to spur tourism growth for the Inle Lake region.

The strategy will focus on sustainable tourism development, heritage conservation, infrastructure marketing and promotion.

U Htay Aung, union minister for Hotels and Tourism said: "Inle Lake is our natural heritage and no one will visit Myanmar if our natural heritage becomes extinct. We should make a collective push to maintain our landmarks"

"Destination management looks beyond hotels and attractions and also includes infrastructure, education, environmental management and employment for local people," Htay Aung added.

The Inle Lake region is one of Myanmar's major tourist draws, welcoming around 250,000 visitors last year.

In line with the 2013 Myanmar Tourism Master Plan, the program will seek state and private investment to boost infrastructure, and improve environmental management and tourist amenities in the region.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

~ AATO ~
My Asia ~ My Territory