Myanmar: Are you ready for this?

Nyi Nyi ®

Jan 11, 2014, 5:26:04 AM1/11/14
to travel...@googlegroups.com
Myanmar is a country of oxymoron. Myanmar is a country to give you an answer "yes" and "no" at the same time. Myanmar is a new exciting destination for travelers.  But question is why it's so? What does Myanmar have to offer to tourists who are different from where they come to why they come. Myanmar is simply a book yet to be read. Myanmar is simply a ground for playful minds. At least, Myanmar is simply "a query" for wandering minds.

I trust that current Myanmar Government has no intention to limit the number of tourist arrival into the Country, while we are building "infrastructures" yet for tourists.
In fact, we have seen "chaos" in the past 3 physical years 2011 to 2013. The story begun with a group of backpackers arrived to Nyaung Shwe (the port town of Inle lake) holding Lonely Planet guide books, looking for a 25$ budget hotel rooms, ended up sleeping at monastery. This scenario was even punched up last year by seeing "a group of backpackers" found sleeping at a pagoda in Bagan, no.1 tourist attraction in the Country and also an archeological site.

So Myanmar goes. Now we see some attempts to accommodate the demands of tourists.. Recently a news pop up before my eyes saying "Myanmar Citizens Not Allowed" or "Customers must be able to speak Japanese." It's about a new restaurant in Yangon. It is apparently prepared for Japanese tourists or business type travelers. Rumor has it, all the Burmese waitresses are highly paid there and the business is run by "a foreigner" - not saying what nationality is. Recently, there has been a couple of news like this in Yangon. Some says "Koren tour leaders/business men rented a house" to accommodate their Koren guests avoiding "difficult hotel situation." Some says "a KTV is privately run for those so girls can do strip dance or so."

It's not fair to say that all Japanese and Koreans brought those kind of business else where in the World. But it is true that Korean tour leaders can be found in night clubs and bars of "Mingalar Zay" - kind of Yangon red-light district. And 2 weeks ago, I met a Japanese tour guide in somewhat State-rated-5-star hotel lobby. He brought 2 girls with him for his Japanese client.

After all, Myanmar is a country to give you an answer "yes" and "no" at the same time. And yes, rumor just has it.

Related page: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=464406990325861&set=a.285773454855883.51848.285725478194014&type=1

Kyi Kyi Aye

Jan 11, 2014, 10:03:29 PM1/11/14
to travel...@googlegroups.com
This is one of the negative impacts: A national concern !

Daw Kyi Kyi Aye
Tourism Consultant
10B, R202, Dagon Lwin Street,
Myittanyunt, Tamwe, Yangon
Tel: (95 1) 559252/ 541769
Mobile: 095062365
Email: kyikyi...@gmail.com

Hpoun

Jan 11, 2014, 10:34:44 PM1/11/14
to travel...@googlegroups.com, travel...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
     Interesting to read, provoking for a certain time, the defense mechanism to compromise , but in the end, perhaps after moments of a-couple-of-time-straw-burning, realizing that this is what happens( almost universal Truth) in Burma!
Best

Sent from my iPhone