Interpol welcomes AirAsia onboard

Thomas Latt

May 15, 2014, 5:11:51 AM5/15/14
to travelmyanmar

Thursday 15th May 2014

Interpol welcomes AirAsia onboard

AirAsia is to pilot Interpol's I-Checkit system to screen the passports of passengers against the world police body's Stolen and Lost Travel Documents database.

AirAsia will become the first airline to integrate I-Checkit with their own systems during the passenger check-in phase across its entire international network.

Interpol's database contains more than 40 million records from 167 countries.

Should a passenger's passport register a positive match against the database, AirAsia has procedures in place that will refer the passenger to local authorities.

Interpol's procedures would simultaneously be engaged to notify all relevant Interpol National Central Bureaus worldwide.

Interpol secretary general Ronald Noble said: "Airlines will no longer have to depend solely on countries screening passports to keep passengers safe from terrorists and other criminals who use stolen passports to board flights.

"They will be able to do it themselves."

Currently, less than 10 countries systematically screen passenger passports against Interpol's Stolen and Lost Travel Document database, with approximately four out of every 10 passports on international flights not screened against Interpol's database.

Thursday, May 15, 2014

~ an asian tour operator aato ~
“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” — James Michener