FW: Circus families research

Margaret Wood

May 10, 2016, 6:24:47 AM5/10/16
to tra...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone help please? Margaret

From: Susan Baker
Sent: ‎10/‎05/‎2016 10:44
To: in...@acert.org.uk
Subject: Circus families research

From: Susan Baker <s...@childs-play.com>

Message Body:
I work for an independent children’s publishing company called Child’s Play (based in Swindon, Wiltshire)  We are aiming  to embrace traveller culture in some of our new titles, and, as well as  on two new titles we have just published written by a Romany traveller, we are working on a book about a boy who lives in a circus, his family are traditional circus people.
It is a picture book (fiction) and the boy is about 5 years old.
We are trying to find out about the daily routine (if any) of a circus child and wonder
whether you could put us in touch with a circus family, who would be willing to talk to us?
We would like to know about education, I have talked to one person who said that usually children
are attached to a school even when they are travelling and the school provide work books etc.
The child’s education appeared to be a combination of home tuition and going to school when they were not travelling.
Can you clarify any of this?

Also about the daily routine - we’d like to know if (in the circus) there is ‘circus’ school?  A time when children learn circus skills. Do they learn these from their parents and follow the skills their parents have, or do they try out many skills and see which suits them best.  Would this be an organised daily event or just random?

The story is a simple one, but we would like the it to be based in reality.
We would be grateful for any advice or contacts.
Kind regards
Sue Baker

--
This mail is sent via contact form on ACERT http://www.acert.org.uk