TMU at Healthy Kids Event

Trash Mash-Up

Mar 30, 2008, 9:12:46 PM3/30/08
to trashmashup
Trash Mash-Up will be featured at the Hamilton Rec Connect's Healthy
Kids Event at the Margaret S. Hayward Playground on Saturday, April
12, 2008 at 12:00pm. The Healthy Kids Event, presented by the YMCA
and Hamilton Rec Connect. This event takes place in the Hayward
Playground at Laguana and McAllister. It is a family fun day with
lots of activities. The Margaret S. Hayward Playground is located at
1016 Laguna Street at Golden Gate Avenue in San Francisco, California.
Trash Mash-Up's mission is to bring vitality to the community. Using
public art projects, we connect our creative traditions to our
collective future. We are committed to realizing the potential value
in our everyday disposable objects by transforming them into
innovative "Maskostumes". Through workshops and public pageants, we
support extended communities and an environmentally conscious culture.
Trash Mash-up (TMU) is a collaborative community art project. Using
disposable materials, collected before they enter the waste stream,
participants construct "Maskostumes" which are original pageant masks
and costumes inspired by traditions from around the world. TMU
enriches our community by developing creative connections amongst the
participants in addition to raising awareness about cultural
traditions and environmental issues. This project reduces waste
and inspires people to see each other and our environment in a new
way.
The founding members of Trash Mash-Up graduated from the Dell'Arte
International School of Physical Theatre. Drawing from their talent
for creating original theatrical productions and their commitment to
serving the larger community, TMU is a socially and environmentally
conscious art project. TMU shares cultural traditions with diverse
communities in public performances and workshops. Reducing waste by
using trash to make art, TMU reminds all of San Francisco that one
person's trash could become an entire city's treasure.
Trash Mash-Up culminates with a Mash-Up Bash, a public performance
pageant. Transforming parks and city squares with a visual spectacle
made of music, movement, and "Maskostumes", spectators enjoy works of
art created from things disregarded by one person and then given new
life through another's imagination. With trash bag boas and bottle-
cap chain mail, Trash Mash-Up builds creative connections and raises
environmental awareness throughout our community as a new urban
tradition is fostered.