World Premier of Mash-Up Bash was a Success!

Trash Mash-Up

Jul 12, 2007, 2:08:07 AM7/12/07
to trashmashup
It was a beautiful day in San Francisco for the June 30th Mash-Up Bash
event. This was the culmination of over a year of workshops in the
Western Addition serving nearly 150 local youth. We were delighted to
have our event posted on the websites of Theatre Bay Area, San
Francisco Fun and Cheap, The Ecology Center, and SF Station (among
others). We also had amazing write ups in both the San Francisco
Weekly and the Guardian; even appearing on the front cover of the
Guardian. The Board of Supervisor for District 5, which includes the
Western Addition, came as did the Grants Manager for San Francisco
Environment and were thrilled at what they saw. The local youth
paired with adults from the community coming together in a free public
event of movement, music, and "Maskostumes". The rhythm that
supported our event was delivered by the talented John F. King II, the
Funkmaster of the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, who creates irresistible
beats on pots and pans.

All "Maskostumes" in the parade were made entirely of collected items
that would have been thrown away. Instead of being discarded, left to
rot in a landfill, these items fueled the imaginations of San
Francisco's local youth. The Mash-Up Bash is comprised of materials
diverted from the waste stream transformed through free arts
programming in our community. Created were not only pieces of art but
also dialogues concerning culture, community and environmental
issues. The Mash-Up Bash is more than just a parade; it is a new
urban tradition. As was the reaction to our first event, this is just
the beginning of finding new ways with old objects, of motivating
youth to use less and reuse more and of finding inspiration from other
cultures. This was truly a community effort and we are thankful to
those who have supported us in our efforts. With plastic bag boas and
bottle cap chain-mail, Trash Mash-Up reduces waste and inspires people
to see each other and our environment in a new way.

To see a slide show of Mash-Up Bash, go to:
http://trashmashup.googlepages.com/gallery_mashupbash