Backups

Richard Atkinson

Jan 31, 2022, 5:07:27 AM1/31/22
to trapper-project
G'day Trapper folk,

If I want to protect my Trapper deployment against catastrophic failure, so I can rebuild it if the computer catches fire, what do I need to backup?

I can do a postgres dump of the database.

Is it sufficient to backup:
- postgres
- VOL_MEDIA
- VOL_EXTERNAL_MEDIA
- .env

Is there anything else I should be protecting?

If I did have to rebuild, can I just do an normal install then restore the database and those folders and it will all spring into life?

Cheers
Richard

Karolina Kuczkowska

Feb 1, 2022, 8:51:10 AM2/1/22
to trapper-project
Hi,
That sums up the important things to backup.

By default, postgres is run as a docker container (trapper_postgres), but it can be easily configured to use an external database - that way the database is save from any potential docker-related issues.

You can also keep your resources in the cloud, AWS and Azure are currently available options.

Best,
Karolina

Richard Atkinson

Feb 1, 2022, 4:17:54 PM2/1/22
to trapper-project
Thanks Karolina. Yes, I've already set up a separate postgres database, although it's running on the same server as Trapper. I've a synology NAS that I use as my main storage (which I then backup to Synology's cloud backup service), so I'll move the resources onto that and point Trapper to there, rather than using AWS or Azure.

When I'm feeling brave I'll try a rebuild using my backups, just to make sure that I can do it if I need to.

Cheers
Richard