Support Accessible Transportation for People with Disabilities!

AAPD

Nov 16, 2011, 3:09:10 PM11/16/11
to Transportation Equity for People with Disabilities
On Thursday, November 17 the Senate Committee on Health, Education,
Labor & Pensions (HELP) will hold a full committee hearing on The
Americans with Disabilities Act and Accessible Transportation:
Challenges and Opportunities.

This is an opportunity to let the HELP Committee know important
accessible transportation is for people with disabilities and urge
them to take tangible, immediate steps to fund projects that promote
transportation access.

Did you know? Twelve percent of people with disabilities have
difficulty getting the transportation they need, compared to three
percent of people without disabilities.

Access to affordable and reliable transportation allows people with
disabilities important opportunities in education, employment,
healthcare, housing and participation in community life. Because our
nation’s investments in transportation infrastructure have
disproportionately favored cars and highways, those who cannot afford
cars or do not operate cars often lack viable transportation options.
People with disabilities—particularly in rural areas—need accessible,
affordable transportation options that bring employment, health care,
education, and community life within reach.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) prohibits discrimination on
the basis of disability in public transportation services, such as
city buses and public rail (subways, commuter trains, etc.) and
requires that public transportation be accessible.

We must let the HELP committee know how important these provisions of
the ADA are for our community and demand that our leaders focus on the
need for transportation equity. This is the time to overcome the
challenges and take advantage of opportunities in order to fulfill
their obligations to Americans with disabilities.

Contact members of the HELP Committee to let them know how important
this issue is to you.

For more information on the hearing and Committee members:
http://help.senate.gov/hearings/hearing/?id=8d2471d5-5056-9502-5d10-0eac4326582a,