Isn’t PRT a solution, not a problem?

Dave Brough

Sep 21, 2020, 1:30:03 PM9/21/20
to transport-innovators
 I see that Morgantown has shut down its PRT and is spending $4 million on busing for its fall semester. https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/09/20/wvu-bus-budget-increase/

My thinking is that by limiting ridership and increasing capacity, they could not only handle things, they could serve as an example for bringing PRT to the masses.

Thoughts?

Dave Brough

Jerry Roane

Sep 21, 2020, 2:17:27 PM9/21/20
to transport-innovators
Dave

Buses do not spread COVID-19 where PRT does. sarc\  That concept is worth commission on $4,000,000 to some bus salesman.  All big box transit is the same for disease transmission.  The latest data says being outside is safer than being inside for transmission.  Nothing could be more "inside" that jammed into a bus or a flat elevator cabin shared by every diseased student on campus.  It only takes one COVID-19 person to infect the world.  The approach the CDC is using is based on them giving up from the start.  They made no attempt at eradicating the pandemic in the US.  At $73,300 per hospital stay for COVID-19 cases treated, the health industry is making the money not this bus salesman.  The infection rate is staying high if I found the correct county for Morgantown.  It spiked on July 23 and again this month above 325 daily new cases.

Here in Austin a CapMetro maintenance man is dead from being around COVID-19 infected transit buses.  He was in the bus barn and fell ill so the bus itself was the means of transmission.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt perhaps they are trying to lower the person density on this limited route to give more physical distance.  Problem is time distance is not provided by blowing this $4,000,000. The bus barn workers are exposed.

Thanks for posting the question about PRT.

Jerry Roane

Palle R Jensen

Sep 21, 2020, 2:22:45 PM9/21/20
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
If I was asked, I would recommend the maxi-ruf.

Palle R Jensen

Jerry Roane

Sep 21, 2020, 3:24:36 PM9/21/20
to transport-innovators
Palle

That is one way to address not sharing the air in the cabin. I am amazed the airlines are not doing the same.  They are losing billions fast by not evolving their cabins.  They must be afraid of the regulators instead of working with the regulators to solve the virus problem in aircraft.  Airlines are advertising open middle seats which indicates they see there needs to be a solution.  Even at the grocery store they figured out how to put up a spit shield for the cashiers.  A $10 piece of clear plastic cannot be that hard to come up with to not share spit with strangers.

Nice pdf by the way.

Jerry

Dave Brough

Sep 21, 2020, 3:54:51 PM9/21/20
to transport-innovators
Another way would be to use smaller dual-mode vehicles, each dispatched to individual an individual destination.ezk Hypoloop luxor 1-15.PNG

Dave Brough

Dave Brough

Sep 21, 2020, 6:32:38 PM9/21/20
to transport-innovators
Jerry,
 Rather than it being a bus salesman, I'm thinking COVID-19 salesman.
How dumb can these guys get? I'm wondering what Morgantown's PRT operator had to say about replacing them with buses.