Re: [t-i] Digest for transport-innovators@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Dave Brough

Jun 15, 2022, 12:40:55 PM6/15/22
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
What's the difference between ET3 and Elon's take?

Dave Brough

On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 9:52 PM <transport-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Daryl Oster <daryl...@gmail.com>: Jun 14 05:48AM -0600

It has been about a decade since I last posted to this group. A quick
search of the archives indicate there is much imagination about ET3 tech,
and happenings, however with very little apparent research or understanding
from a few of those who occasionally attempt to elucidate on the subject
in this forum.

Some commonly repeated erroneous guesses, misconceptions, (or lies) about
ET3 include:

* "The cost to maintain the vacuum is too high, therefore any advantages
are eliminated or marginalized."
[LIGO is evacuated to a thousand times higher quality of vacuum than
required for ET3, yet in spite of having over 50miles of welds, had no
measurable leaks in 2 years WITHOUT THE PUMPS RUNNING! Also, leak-proof
seals (even dynamic seals) are known that have no measurable leaks.
Finally, by design, the per cycle air to evacuate from a typical ET3
airlock can be made to be less than one liter. See the attached paper with
more evidence on this vacuum energy issue, and every other significant
other energy issue associated with ET3 ]

** "The tube material can't last, or stand the negative pressure associated
with the required vacuum pressure without collapse risk, or if made to
withstand the pressure are too heavy or costly."
[Submarine and/or underground pipelines often encounter net external
pressure, especially water and sewer pipes that go over hills or valleys
higher/deeper than 33 feet subject to a pump being shut off or power
failure. (many such pipelines are much larger than ET3). Also note that
properly sized and placed stiffening rings dramatically increase the
tendency to buckle, but only have a small increase in material use
compared to simply making the tubes thicker.]

*** "The system is too vurnurable to terrorist atack or damage from natural
forces."
[ not even close to the terrorist risks of cars/ bridges,
aircraft/airports, and ships/harbors, yet terror and 'acts of god'
represents less than 1% of transportation related fatalities. The UHPC
that ET3 can be most economically made from is likely to last for thousands
of years in full weather exposure, and longer if in tunnels. ]

**** "ET3 is too big ... or ... too small to meet market needs."
[Cars have won the transportation market, and ET3 capsules are designed to
match or exceed the cargo and passenger load utility of: cars/SUVs/pickups
(and do so at minimal cost).]

***** "People will feel too claustrophobic for ET3 to succeed."
[ The prevalence of cars, and elevators prove this to be false, however
phone booths have failed in the market! Stats prove that a higher % of the
population are unreasonably afraid of large groups of people, and/or open
spaces.]

****** "Too much time to load / unload ET3 capsules."
[ An airlock cycle time of 26 seconds is a fairly close match to the 15sec
to 20sec dwell time to load/unload a typical conveyor style amusement ride.
The ET3 trip time overhead of about 1 minute compares favorably with the
amount of time to park a car, start the engine of a car, or strap on a
helmet to ride a bike.

etc. ...

And, I also see that several friends have at least attempted to correct
some of the misconceptions about ET3, for such friends, I remain thankful.

If any of you have an interest in more information about ET3 progress over
the last decade, call or contact me at et3 [at] et3.com. Only a little of
ET3 progress is posted on the various ET3 websites, or social media pages
(hypeloop guys 'borrow' as if they originated the work, and without
attribution). ET3 Global Alliance is now over 400 licensees in 26
nations, and several projects have been successfully built and tested by
licensees, a few have been publicized by the project owners to a limited
extent.

Best regards,
Daryl Oster, ET3 Global Alliance Inc.

(c) 2022 all rights reserved.

cell:(352)257-1310

All information included is intended only for the recipient and is
confidential unless otherwise noted.

Daryl Oster

Jun 16, 2022, 11:37:02 PM6/16/22
to transport-innovators

Hi Dave,

The attached comparison of hypeloop and ET3 is a couple years old, and is a little outdated (hypeloop has now carried passengers).
Let me know if you have any specific questions.

do
ET3-v-Hyperloop.pdf

Jerry Roane

Jun 17, 2022, 5:01:44 PM6/17/22
to transport-innovators
Daryl

"U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates current leak rates across the natural gas supply chain to be 2-3%.

You may want to remove the reference to natural gas not leaking.  It does not relate to a vacuum tube anyway.  The fact that so much methane is leaked
into the atmosphere is not what you would want to reference.  My city had a year-long natural gas leak on our main business street
caused by poor workmanship of the gas pipe laying crews over years of doing it wrong.  Again you don't want to associate your vacuum tube with natural gas pipes.

A minor tweak also in a linear motor the cabin is the moving part because it is the reaction plate.  You might consider rewording to avoid saying there are no moving parts.
I would be interested to see the vacuum pump energy for a capsule being added to the vacuum tube.  I assume you are planning for a close fit in the loading chamber.
The pump down time in microseconds would also be informative.

Jerry Roane

Michael Weidler

Jul 15, 2022, 11:33:40 PM7/15/22
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daryl,

How is breathing air supplied to ET3 capsules? You've undoubtedly answered this somewhere over the years, but if so I definitely can't recall the answer.

Thanks,
Michael Weidler

The Best Way to Predict the Future....Is to Create It.

Daryl Oster

Jul 17, 2022, 8:17:55 PM7/17/22
On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 9:33 PM 'Michael Weidler' via transport-innovators <transport-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi Daryl,
How is breathing air supplied to ET3 capsules? You've undoubtedly answered this somewhere over the years, but if so I definitely can't recall the answer.

Hi Michael,
Thank you for your question.  The usual technical term is "rebreather" -- first commercialized over 100 years ago for use in submarines.  Spacecraft also use rebreathers, as do divers underwater.
Rebreathers mimic our outdoor environment to remove CO2 from the air, and to replenish oxygen; a carbon filter also removes odors and other contaminants. Other uses of rebreathers include fire-fighting, and mining.
Rebreathers are in volume serial production for underwater diving, and cost as little as $5,800 as of July 2022.  The O2 sensor on a typical diving rebreather must be replaced annually (at a retail cost of about $100).

For ET3, the rebreather requirements are not nearly so critical as with submarines or spacecraft (that may be in use for several months at a time).  With ET3 the maximum travel time will be less than 4 hours.  Diving rebreather maximum use time is typically about 3 hours (while exerting to swim), however they are much more complex than required for ET3.  For diving, a rebreather must reliably operate while being knocked around, and at vastly varying pressures, and in a corrosive salt water environment.  The conditions in an ET3 capsule are much more predictable and controlled.  With the much larger volume of air, an ET3 capsule can safely operate  for over double the access portal frequency (of no more than 15 min intervals between access portals).  In the event of any failure of the rebreather equipment a capsule can be taken out of harm's way in less than 15min without any emergency backup procedures necessitated (a diver often has no such luxury).

The ET3 rebreather comprises one unit for each seating module (seating one huge person, or 3 small persons per module - typically 2 adults).  The ET3 rebreather components weigh about 12lbs per module, with a volume of about 5 liters.  One ET3 capsule can accommodate up to 3 seating modules (normally at least two for redundancy. The sorbent material (for CO2 removal) can be recycled after each trip with less than 0.1% loss per cycle (it is heated up to drive off the CO2 and other absorbed vapors).  The material cost, per ET3 seating module rebreather, was less than $500 last i checked, the maximum per trip cost is a few cents per passenger.

Best regards,