THE ROAD NOT TAKEN How we found (and lost) the dream of Personal Rapid Transit By Adi Robertson -- The Verge

Roy Reynolds

Aug 7, 2019, 6:18:58 PM8/7/19
to transport-innovators

Jerry Roane

Aug 7, 2019, 7:22:48 PM8/7/19
to transport-innovators
Roy

Thanks for the link.  I pulled this quote from it.

John F. Kennedy, who lamented that "nothing is more dramatically apparent than the inadequacy" of urban transportation.

I may use this quote in my next presentation.

We have had some progress with the idea of using advanced transportation to move water.  Today we are making a proposal to move 103,500,000 gallons per day in another country that really needs more clean water.  This will feed a city of 15 million people to double their current water intake.  This requires four parallel guideways side by side and double decked.

Jerry Roane

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 5:19 PM Roy Reynolds <ral...@gmail.com> wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/2016/2/24/11094524/prt-transit-history-self-driving-cars-alden-starrcar-tomorrowland-1960s?fbclid=IwAR3iS2EDVkz5CjVX2dKJeIXm70NyaKAtZj-hTnzHLoDS-WDSQMhuM4Kidis

Dave Brough

Aug 8, 2019, 2:26:39 PM8/8/19
to transport-innovators
The title is misleading. The STaRRcar was PRT with a cherry.
When Muck and Branson get wind of it, things will change. As will the name: Virgin HypoLoop.

Dave Brough

Dave Brough

Aug 8, 2019, 2:53:39 PM8/8/19
to transport-innovators

urbmobile popsci cover updated.JPG

Instead of 'The Road Not Taken', I'd call it 'The Road Not YET taken!'.
or perhaps "Dual-Mode: Don't embalm me, I'm only resting".

The PopSci Urbmobile photo with the woman smoking is dated.

urbmobile popsci cover.JPG

I updated it...

urbmobile popsci cover updated.JPG

Here's a patent based on the concept...

urbmobile pat drawing.png

Dave Brough

PS To make it easier to remember, I call my version 'DAVE' (Dual-mode Advanced Vehicular Endeavor)

Dave Brough

Aug 8, 2019, 4:16:28 PM8/8/19
to transport-innovators
I see Palle Jensen in the comments. Given that the article is 3 yrs old, anyone have an update on how his RUF is faring?

Dave Brough

Dave Brough

Aug 8, 2019, 10:11:12 PM8/8/19
to transport-innovators
Jerry, the quote I like was from Wisconsin Congressman Henry Reuss: "Whatever happened to dual-mode?"

Dave Brough

Jerry Roane

Aug 8, 2019, 10:50:34 PM8/8/19
to transport-innovators
Dave Brough

I found this searching from your comment:

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/Onlinepubs/sr/sr170/170-002.pdf

Very interesting reading from something mid-century modern as they say on the DIY TV Antiques Road Show.  The fuel savings in this pdf need to be updated of course since that was a long time ago.  The spread has gotten even more exaggerated.  Today I spent working on moving 116,000 acre feet of water 78 miles to 15.91 million people.   I am dealing with an engineering company there so today's work was a massive pile of number crunching to explain the viability of the concept.  The resulting numbers show that it only takes a modest width of solar panels to move all that water at 40 mph.  The solar farm is going to have excess electricity to sell off on most sunny days.  On darker days it will break even.  On extended dark days we will simply stop sending water till the next daylight.  The point from the water numbers running through the PV solar latest prices is we can fully power TriTrack as dual mode with just sunshine.  Going three times faster at half the cost.  In the pdf they mention that dual mode minibuses would use 125 passenger km per liter of gasoline.  Going off grid and pure solar that number blows up to infinity since we use zero liters of gasoline.  The other four items listed Automobile Rail rapid transit Transit buses PRT vehicles have not changed much since that document was written.  Transit buses still go 17 mph average speed.  Rail "rapid" transit is a joke.  PRT is having a hard time moving past the university campus.  Dual mode is still in the wings but hopefully coming soon.

Solar price today was down to 18 cents per watt a very reasonable price.  Gasoline prices are not tracking PV solar price reductions at all nor are grid monopoly electricity prices.

Jerry Roane

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 9:11 PM Dave Brough <daveb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Jerry, the quote I like was from Wisconsin Congressman Henry Reuss: "Whatever happened to dual-mode?"

Dave Brough

Dave Brough

Aug 9, 2019, 12:08:38 AM8/9/19
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for digging that up, Jerry. I like its final paragraph...
"Back in 1966, Congress mandated "national leader-ship" for a program of research, development, and demonstration of new systems. Dual mode was one of the brightest and best of these. Eight years later, with an environmental crisis, an energy crisis, and several other crises exploding in our faces, national leadership on new systems, particularly dual mode, is nonexistent. Leadership, anyone?"

The only difference is that instead of 'eight years later', it's 50-plus years later.

Dave Brough

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/transport-innovators/CAEsQt-dQLywRcOGyjjB%3DKxa7EQocwa7SPjTpAZoSCRVP3whKDg%40mail.gmail.com.

WALTER BREWER

Aug 9, 2019, 7:35:03 AM8/9/19
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guys,

Struggle in San Diego is new Ex Director for SANDAG is bug time transit. He is taking 2 years for Vision for Regional Transportation to develope.

Mrantime wants tp convert road fnds into transit.

   5webinar fo what is new functions. One more is Operating System for Lyft, Uber, etc.

Walt Brewer

Palle R Jensen

Aug 11, 2019, 11:45:09 AM8/11/19
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Aug 12, 2019, 1:12:49 PM8/12/19
to transport-innovators
@ "Dual-mode never really caught on because ‘interests’ were (and still are) focused on trying to find an alternative to the personal car."

This reminds me of a quote someone posted a few years ago that went something like, "If someone dies because there is no cure, that is unfortunate. But if there is a cure and it is ignored, that's negligence".

"First they ignore you,then they laugh at you..."
It is unfortunate that the interests that persist in vilifying the automobile are funded by special interests and that for all the 'good' that dual-mode could do, it is still stuck back in the nineteen-60s.

I hope Elon discovers it. Which he sort of has in his tunnel project.

Dave Brough

Bruce A. McHenry

Jun 9, 2020, 11:18:24 AM6/9/20
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Palle,
I need some help doing a patent search i your space. You may have already seen it. May I call you?
Best,
Bruce

Palle R Jensen

Jun 9, 2020, 11:38:41 AM6/9/20
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Bruce

Unfortunately I am out of office the NeXT few days

Regarding patents, I am preparing a new series of RUF patent applications covering all new details.

The old patents have expired long ago

Kind regards

Palle R Jensen

Bruce A. McHenry

Jun 9, 2020, 1:43:16 PM6/9/20
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Palle,
I wonder whether your new RUF patents could in fact be very like what I have in mind. That seems likely. Convergence on the optimum solution occurs naturally and often simultaneously. I look forward to hearing from you.
Best, Bruce