Hyperloop's passenger test. Is there anything innovative in this?

Dave Brough

Nov 10, 2020, 5:57:17 PM11/10/20
to transport-innovators

Is there anything different from this than what they use to boost carnie rides up a slanted rail?

6 flags maglev.jpg
I remain surprised that no one (other than Thunderfoot) has really tried to take these guys down.

Dave Brough

Dave Brough

Nov 10, 2020, 7:19:12 PM11/10/20
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the clearly obtuse posting. I'll try to clean it up.

Dave Brough

Brian Chow

Apr 14, 2021, 4:24:12 PM4/14/21
to transport-innovators
This looks like a linear induction motor (LIM) - it powers just about anything from theme park rides with a horizontal catapult, to railguns, to classroom experiments on basic electromagnetism.
It seems fairly generic to use LIMs for next-gen infrastructure. I agree that there is nothing unique to Hyperloop using it. The only exception is a gigantic, almost religious cult of personality that makes even seasoned engineers believe he's in on something new and cosmic.