RE: [t-i] Abridged summary of transport-innovators@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

tfol...@earthlink.net

Jan 20, 2022, 4:14:35 PM1/20/22
to transport-...@googlegroups.com

Jerry –

Thanks for the information. Statistics on kW/passenger at a given speed are hard to come by. What is the source for your graph?

Your calculations for the TriTrack are pretty close to the vehicle that I have in mind; both get better than 2000 MPGe when maintaining a 30 MPH speed. What is the source of your equations? My calculations are in https://www.researchgate.net/publication/356194082_Improved_Bus_Service_on_Ten_Times_Less_Energy where I take the equations from D.G. Wilson “Bicycling Science”, 3rd ed, MIT Press.

The main difference is that the TriTrack depends on a separate guideway, but the MilliPod operates on the street as an urban road train with the lead vehicle human driven. Would you have time to chat on Zoom 948 432 5685?

How does the TriTrack keep passengers comfortable? I built a similar vehicle and found that sunshine turned it into an oven.

  • Tyler

Jan 20, 2022, 6:35:45 PM1/20/22
to transport-innovators
The calculator for energy is here for generic vehicles if you know how to fill in the inputs:

That was used for the different versions of TriTrack.  Wikipedia is where most of the data came from and the original source was the federal government data.  It is hard to find all those numbers in one place and in the same English units so I put that chart together from what I found.  Obviously it depends heavily on averages and average US ridership and does not apply to other countries.  Most of the public transit data is buried since it is so bad due to low average ridership on transit buses across the nation.  Airplane data is heavily based on takeoff, not so much cruising or the descent.

You are correct about bicycles at 30 mph being fairly low power.  Recumbent bicycles being far superior to the regulation bikes required for race rules.  The tricky part with a person on a bike is the Cd is not static as the person pedals.  The tour de France averages 28 mph where a fairing bike will go much faster with the same athlete.

Jerry Roane

stephenw...@bellsouth.net

Jan 21, 2022, 11:31:34 AM1/21/22
to transport-innovators
Tyler-
i think your energy calculation omitted something important.   A moving commute vehicle spends power on 4 things - roughly in value order - aero-dynamic drag; acceleration; HVAC and electronics; rolling resistance.  Drag is almost always the largest expense by far.  But, depending upon the driving pattern and environment, HVAC can actually be the second largest energy demand rather than acceleration.

WRT your Millipods:  not having to stop and start to pick up new riders/drop-off will save on acceleration energy expense, and slightly increase average speed.  But operating on city streets will still requires stops/starts at controlled intersections, so energy and speed impacts will still exist.