Anyone know the latest on Raytheon's PRT?

Dave Brough

Jun 29, 2014, 2:47:18 PM6/29/14
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Here's the latest I can find on Raytheon's PRT. http://archive.today/ofDO#selection-805.58-807.19
The link to Steve Gluck, however, does not work. Does anyone know where they're 'at' these days? Same with Skyweb Xpress.

Dave Brough

Richard Gronning

Jun 29, 2014, 3:34:12 PM6/29/14
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Dave,
While others may know more, here is what I've heard;
Raytheon built (overbuilt) their system and had a test track in
Massachusetts. It was said that they received $60 Million from Chicago's
Regional Transit Authority (RTA). They put a considerable amount of
their own funding into the project. When the figures came out, any
system would have cost ~$80 Million/mile. The RTA turned a thumbs-down
to that figure. In 1998 Dr. Anderson got all the rights to his patents
back and started organizing the effort for Taxi 2000.

Taxi 2000 started, I believe, around 1979. Since the patents went to
Raytheon, there wasn't much done with or through Taxi 2000 in the '90's.
In ~2000 Joe Lampe came onboard and organize the three phase project.
Phase 1 was to be an investment and growth in order to develop a full
sized vehicle and 60' of guideway. Phase II was designed by five
engineers to be a test and certification system. What they designed is
identical, except for vehicles and track, to the Modutram lay-out.
(Hmmm...) Phase III was to be an actual application. I've heard that the
current CEO Mike Lester is traveling a lot these days. Larry Fabian just
told me that.

Dick

jbs

Jun 29, 2014, 4:48:01 PM6/29/14
to transport-innovators

Prof. Emeritus
U of Washington, Seattle
Innovative Transportation Technologies

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014, Richard Gronning wrote:

> Dave,
> While others may know more, here is what I've heard;
> Raytheon built (overbuilt) their system and had a test track in
> Massachusetts. It was said that they received $60 Million from Chicago's
> Regional Transit Authority (RTA). They put a considerable amount of their own
> funding into the project. When the figures came out, any system would have
> cost ~$80 Million/mile. The RTA turned a thumbs-down to that figure. In 1998
> Dr. Anderson got all the rights to his patents back and started organizing
> the effort for Taxi 2000.
>
> Taxi 2000 started, I believe, around 1979. Since the patents went to
> Raytheon, there wasn't much done with or through Taxi 2000 in the '90's. In
> ~2000 Joe Lampe came onboard and organize the three phase project. Phase 1
> was to be an investment and growth in order to develop a full sized vehicle
> and 60' of guideway. Phase II was designed by five engineers to be a test and
> certification system. What they designed is identical, except for vehicles
> and track, to the Modutram lay-out. (Hmmm...) Phase III was to be an actual
> application. I've heard that the current CEO Mike Lester is traveling a lot
> these days. Larry Fabian just told me that.

When do the T2K patents expire? 2014 - 1979 = 35
> Dick
>

> On 6/29/2014 1:47 PM, Dave Brough wrote:
>> Here's the latest I can find on Raytheon's PRT.
>> http://archive.today/ofDO#selection-805.58-807.19
>> The link to Steve Gluck, however, does not work. Does anyone know where
>> they're 'at' these days? Same with Skyweb Xpress.
>>
>> Dave Brough

Richard Gronning

Jun 29, 2014, 4:55:37 PM6/29/14
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
I believe that some were made by ~ '85. Some may have been prior to '79.

Dave Brough

Jun 29, 2014, 6:27:30 PM6/29/14
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that, Dick. SkyWeb (or whatever they now call it) really is an impressive product and I'm surprised that with all the millions that have gone into it, it's not taken off.  Oh, to be that fly on Raytheon's wall.
As Jerry S points out, their patents would have expired some time ago.

Dave Brough

Bruce A. McHenry

Mar 27, 2020, 4:01:15 PM3/27/20
to transport-...@googlegroups.com
Their patents?
D'ya mean, "Raytheon's"?
Who paid for that, d'ya think?

Interesting isn't it, how the patent lifetime can serve to time emergence?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "transport-innovators" group.