CHI research material availability questionnaire (Request for comment)

Chat Wacharamanotham

May 25, 2018, 1:32:01 AM5/25/18
to Florian Echtler
Dear colleagues,

During CHI 2018, Open Science has been discussed in several venues. Concerns have been raised that some types of research materials in the CHI community may not lend itself for being open. We (Chat Wacharamanotham and Florian Echtler) wish to tease out the nuances of these concerns and provide an overview of what research materials are produced and are made available in CHI publications.

What are we doing?
We plan to send a questionnaire to first authors of CHI 2018 papers. This questionnaire asks about the type(s) of research materials produced, whether they are publicly available, and concerns that the authors have in making them available.

We believe that the results of this questionnaire will allow us to report the current snapshot of CHI community about this phenomenon, which will be useful in future discussion on the relevance of Open Science to CHI community.

We have made several iterations on designing the questionnaire and asked our circle of colleagues for feedback. Now we would like to hear your thoughts before sending it out to the paper authors.

How can you give input?
You can give input to this questionnaire in by the following ways:

(1) Directly comment (and respond to others’ comments) on the questionnaire draft and study protocol draft on Google Doc. If you login to your Google account before making comments, we will be able to properly credit you in the contribution log.

(2) Join us on a live discussion on Monday, 28 May 2018 at 19:00–20:00 CEST (check your timezone) by clicking this Skype conversation link. Here’s the draft agenda.

(3) Forward this email to any of your colleagues who may be interested.

What will be your benefit?
We will acknowledge your input in the contribution log which will be online and persistent on the project’s osf page. We will invite major contributors to involve in co-authoring any publication that will spawn out of this project.

Best regards,
Chat Wacharamanotham

   Chat Wacharamanotham | Assistant Professor of Interaction Design
   Zurich People and Computing Lab | University of Zurich
   Office: +41 44 635 43 13