Digital Technologies for 21st Century Democracy! Participate in the debate!

Susana Club de Madrid

Oct 10, 2011, 5:48:24 AM10/10/11
to Transparency Bloggers
From the Arab Spring to Occupy Wall Street, 2011 seems a year of
change. But the outcome is still blurred. Are we witnessing a radical
change in the structure of our societies, or will everything come out
of the fog as it came in, with the addition of yet another mean of
communication? This is what we are going to be analyzing in Digital
Technologies for 21st Century Democracy. How big data, citizen
journalism or bidirectional communications are affecting government,
society and democracy.

My name is Susana Mañueco, and I work in the communications department
of a high-profile international non profit called the Club de Madrid
(www.clubmadrid.org), which is a nonpartisan membership organization
consisting of 80 of the most influential democratically-elected former
Presidents and Prime Ministers from around the world, including Bill
Clinton and Jimmy Carter, former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan,
former Soviet Union President Mikhail Gorbachev, former President of
Chile Michelle Bachelet, and former Mexican President Vicente Fox.

The Club de Madrid is hosting its annual conference (
http://www.clubmadrid.org/2011conference/) in New York on November 8-9
(the first time it is being held in the U.S.), focused on the role of
digital technology in 21st century democracy -- exploring how digital
tools, networks and new forms of media are challenging institutions
and the relationships between governments and citizens. The conference
will end with a gala dinner honoring President Clinton, the Club's
Honorary Chair. Many of the Club of Madrid's members will be in
attendance at both events, along with some of the world's most
experienced business leaders, policymakers and scholars (from Jeff
Jarvis to Micah L. Sifry).

This is an important conversation and an unparalleled network to be
involved in, and we will love to enrich the debate with the
participation of the members of Tarnsparency Bloggers.

Thank you in advance, and please, don’t hesitate to contact us if you
need further information.
We look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,

Susana Mañueco
sman...@clubmadrid.org