Richmond Rental Connect Update September 2012

De Whalen

Sep 8, 2012, 4:30:01 PM9/8/12
to De Whalen

SORRY FOR CROSS POSTINGS

PLEASE POST AND FORWARD AS APPROPRIATE, THANKS!

Richmond Rental Connect UPDATE September 2012

"Richmond Rental Connect" is a pilot project of the

Richmond Poverty Response Committee. The project aims to match landlords and homeowners owning secondary suites with tenants seeking safe and affordable housing.

For information on the whole project, please see the newsletter attached and check out the website at http://www.richmondrentalconnect.ca.

From the feedback we received in our spring Conversation Circles with tenants, landlords and homeowners, we are ready to move to the next step and activate the "Richmond Rental Connect" housing registry.

Participants told us that they needed more information about rights and responsibilities for landlords and tenants and that many problems between landlords and tenants resulted from poor communication.

So that everyone using the housing registry has common information we are offering a free workshop:  BUILDING SUCCESSFUL TENANT AND LANDLORD RELATIONS.  Please see promotional poster attached.

The workshop will explain rental agreements and the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants.  There will also be practical advice for good communication.   There will also be information on the housing registry.

Everyone wishing to participate in the housing registry will be required to take this workshop.  We also invite all Richmond community service agencies with housing representatives to take the workshop. It will be a great opportunity for landlords, tenants, homeowners and service agencies to learn together and understand different view points in a neutral setting.

Workshop Information:

Tuesday, September 18th

11051 Steveston Highway (South Arm United Church)

6:30 to 9:00

RSVP by September 16th – in...@richmondrentalconnect.ca

                                            604.205.4700

If you know of landlords or tenants who would be interested in this free workshop, please pass the information on. Please keep in mind that Richmond Rental Connect is currently a pilot project and we will be focusing our registry on secondary suites.

Thanks!

De Whalen
Chair, Richmond Poverty Response Committee

“Anyone who has ever struggled with poverty knows how extremely expensive it is to be poor.”    James Baldwin

“Once you see it, you can’t un-see it. And once you’ve seen it, keeping quiet, saying nothing, becomes as political an act as speaking out. There’s no innocence. Either way, you’re accountable.” Arundhati Roy

Poster_Sept 18_workshop_Final.pdf
Rental Connect PRC newsletter summer 2012.pdf