Lake County -- Biomass

1 view

Snow Ranch

Jan 29, 2011, 4:37:14 AM1/29/11
to transition...@googlegroups.com
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 6:13 PM
Subject: Re: [tlc] Biodiesel / Sustainable Ag.

> Even though I exercise my prerogative to delete at will, I confess, I have
> enjoyed eves-dropping on the novel-length banter between two "mad
> scientists". I am an English teacher, so the scientific lingo boggles my
> mind.  But I wonder if the emphasis should be on MAD or SCIENTISTS...;-)
> I love it,
> peace,
> dallas

Oh yes, mad -- both insane and angry -- is certain.  Scientist is up for debate, depending upon whom you ask.  :-P

Back to energy!

Below is a note from a new mad scientist design cranked out this afternoon and sent to a friend.  Problem with raising livestock and looking to expand is that you don't want to expand too much too soon.   You're at the mercy of nature.  A bad year on animals, bad pricing, etc....can't be easily stepped up or down in production.  Pasturing and running no equipment is the most profitable where hay prices stink, but, where hay is good, it can exceed livestock profits....with less labor, less confinement to property, less capital, less intense management, less risks and variables to production, etc.   Generally, when you live on smaller land, lease surrounding pastures, and run livestock....at some point you have to start making your own hay.  Cost of outside hay is too high.  Year-round pasturing without dry hay is hard on some animals.   And, if you bother doing that and investing in equipment, it makes sense to produce and sell a bit more hay.  Planting and seed costs come into play.   Many factors, but, generally, an operations split between livestock and hay production provides a dual-pronged commercial attack that is complementary.  They hedge each other.   When animals are bad years, hay is often good.  When hay is bad, animals are good.  A complimentary split lends to long-term stability.   If you have leased pastures and the owner must sell, or goes into foreclosure, or whatever....even on long-term contract....having an ample supply of hay ensures you can pull back the herd, raise stocking rates for awhile, keep them alive and move to other pastures or thin them down with minimal loss....not severe loss.

I was initially tempted by the area's ample, natural rangeland (neglected pastures) ....which goats love.....and which can be baled, but which sells for only about $70-$80/ Ton at best on the present market....and that's hardly worth the bother for all the wear & tear, depreciation of equipment, and fuss.  Better to plant high quality hay.

Still, I have tried to figure out something to do with all that empty land in Lake County.  Vineyards and pear orchards folding up.  Grass overgrowing.  Unsuitable grass for premium hay (People might buy it at $3-$4/ bale, but it'll cost you near that to make it.) Not really worth baling for the hay bale markets....but....I think locals should take a look at the biomass potential for wood pellet fuels, cubed fuels for industrial boilers, and as pelletized feed, etc.  Only takes some water, calcium carbonate, crop oils, and compression to make a pelletized or briquette fuel that also doubles as suitable cow/ sheep/ goat feed.   Fussy horse people don't like it, but commercial meat and dairy operations would, and it can always be mixed with other feed to raise nutrition content.   Contrary to popular belief, the natural rangeland grasses out here and all over California have excellent protein and energy content.  It's nice mix of protein and carbs thanks to all that annoying Foxtail (wild barley grass)....especially where cut green.  Animals can either eat more of it to gain nutrition, or it can be supplemented.   Doesn't matter.  People talk of noxious weeds in it, but mine eat it all...all the time.  Foxtails & weeds in it spook the owner of a fancy and beloved horse, but commercial livestock are an acceptable risk there and we haven't had a problem with foxtails on livestock in 7 years of their grazing natural pastures with ample foxtail.  Some bloat cases and loss that could have been from weeds and clover boggling digestion at times, certainly, but those losses are less than what it would have cost on imported feed.  They love the stuff.  It's mostly problematic for dogs and their paws, not hooves.  You hear stories of foxtails getting in horse noses and all, but smaller livestock don't breath in with such suction....nor do cows much.   It works fine as feed, but has considerably higher dollar value as a new Lake County crop to augment pears and wine (or Pot!)....if only the ops cost can be dropped some.  Makes a good use for those vineyard clippings, too....if grapes don't sell.

Below are some ideas on that.  Won't have the chance to work it up, but maybe some of you will in hunger for cash and energy independence using biomass.  And maybe you'll get a little industry going out here, open up marketing channels, get a co-op going, and... by the time we get into it....it'll be all the easier to join in.

Kind of a caveman way of heating homes and industry, but it's a commodity crop insufficiently exploited.  Renewable energy.  Can be clean burning with better binders.  Takes a long time to grow trees.   Tree-huggers usually don't like killing trees, but mowing grass and clearing fire danger in the county is something people can do.   It can be all the more profitable if you don't bother with tilling and planting costs, and just process what's annually on the fields.   You could probably even draft up a grant proposal on something like this and build a nice machine to toot around the county....kind of like street sweepers in the city.  Imagine a garbage truck going onto fields, pelletizing, and trailer trucks hauling out bins and replacing new bins.   A kind of WMI pasture operation.   That's expensive equipment, though.  Hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars in making something professional.  But, you could do it in your backyards, though, with purchased bales....cheap straw bales, collected sawdust, waste hay bales, any of such bales we want to sell later, etc....or bale your own....and return it to the stationary shredder / pelletizer or briquette machines.  I favor backyard/ farmer tinkering on higher volume pelletizers than can be bought commercially -- as the high capacity stuff costs oodles -- while the affordable stuff doesn't put out enough to make it worth the time.  Production needs to be stepped up per hour on any pelletizer....or the costs of labor and other overhead run too close to the profit margin.  If you step up production on the machine and minimize manual labor....then it's a worthwhile pursuit and investment.

Only real issue that can boggle it is the higher soot and ash content of the pellets as opposed to wood fuel.  That can boggle some of the sensors on the fancier wood pellet stoves, void warranties, raise greenie emissions grumblings, etc.   Better binders can improve that.   You can have one set of binders for feed grade / dirty burning pellets.   Another set of binders and production stock on clean-burning straw pellets for wood stoves & industry.   Something like that.