Our busy January

Transition Kitchener-Waterloo

Jan 5, 2014, 6:10:06 PM1/5/14
to transitionkw-...@googlegroups.com

Greetings and Happy New Year Transitioners!

Our January is going to be a busy one. We’ve got our second-ever Repair Cafe, our first-ever film screening at the Princess Cinemas, an internal strategizing meeting, as well as our regular monthly meeting. Here’s the schedule for the month, and below are some community notes and some volunteer opportunities within Transition.

Visioning & Brainstorming Meeting: If you’re one of the core organizers within Transition, or would like to become one, then please come to this meeting for planning for this year.

When: Saturday, January 11, 1-4pm

Where: Misty Mountain Cafe, 33 Queen Street South, Kitchener

Monthly Meeting: our regular planning & discussing meeting, come on out to get involved!

When: Thursday, January 16, 7pm

Where: LSPIRG office, 3rd floor of 165 Albert Street, Waterloo

Repair Cafe: Come out to get your household appliances, electronics, computers, or clothing fixed!

When: Saturday, January 25, 10am-4pm

Where: kwartzlab maker space, 33 Kent Avenue, Kitchener

More info: http://kwrepaircafe.eventbrite.ca

Elemental the Film at the Princess: Elemental is a documentary covering 3 stories that address our ecological challenges, from the Ganges to climate change to the tar sands.

When: Wednesday, January 29, 7pm

Where: The Princess Original, 6 Princess Street West, Waterloo

More info: http://www.princesscinemas.com/movie/elemental

----

Sylvie Spraakman

Facilitator, TransitionKW

Facebook | Twitter | Blog | www.transitionkw.ca

____________________________________

Community Notes

Waterloo-Wellington Good Living Guide: Where do I find fairtrade coffee? Who can help me reduce my household energy? Where do I find ethical clothing? How can I be a good citizen and purchase things ethically? There’s a great new resource for all of these questions and more - the Good Living Guide - check it out! http://lifestylecitizens.org/waterloo-wellington/

Volunteer Corner

Community Calendar Coordinator: This job would consist of finding events in the community that relate to Transition concepts and posting them to our community google calendar (which can be found here). A job that’s only a few hours a week and keeps you up-to-date on all the cool stuff going on in KW!

Movie Night Coordinator: Do you love sustainability-oriented documentary films? Why not help us organize and coordinate our next film series! This position involves being the lead of the following tasks:

  • Curating a line-up of films,

  • Connecting with the directors and/or studios to secure viewing rights,

  • Organizing a pre-screening of the films,

  • Promoting the film series

If this sounds like something you're interested in doing, connect with us via email, social media, or come to our next meeting. We'd love to hear from you!

Covering the Regional/Municipal Beat: Are you a journalist interested in growing your audience? Do you follow regional politics, paying close attention to issues such as city development, transportation, and environmental issues? TransitionKW would love to have you on board as a regular blogger - posting regularly on Regional or Municipal politics with a special focus on sustainability-related issues.