Grand River Film Fest, Monthly Meeting, and Clothing Swap

Transition KW

Oct 14, 2013, 6:02:57 PM10/14/13
to transitionkw-...@googlegroups.com

Hi there Transitioners,

Hope everyone had a great long weekend. There's a lot coming up in the next little while, so let's get into it!

The Grand River Film Festival begins this Thursday! You can find the entire schedule here. Lots of neat movies in the line-up, but of particular importance is TINY, a movie about a couple's journey of building and living in a house no larger than a typical parking spot!

Also on Thursday (Oct 17) is TransitionKW's monthly meeting. We'll be meeting at the LSPIRG office, on the third floor of 165 Albert Street, at 7pm. First-timers always welcome!

On Sunday (Oct 20), we'll be at the Tit-for-Tat clothing swap. This swap is an awesome opportunities to circulate the stuff the have with others in our community. What is old is new again, right? Come out and meet your neighbours, give back to the community, and walk away with some new threads! The swap starts at 2pm and will take place at St. John's Kitchen, 97 Victoria St. N., Kitchener.

Looking a bit further into the future, our October Tools for Change movie is quickly approaching. On October 23rd, we'll be screening First Earth at the REEP House at 7pm. This documentary asks what our architecture says about our society, and how this should change to better reflect a desire to become more sustainable.

If you've got an event you'd like us to promote, tweet us! And if you have friends that might enjoy any of the events listed above, please share this newsletter with them!

----

Nick Belanger

Facilitator, TransitionKW

Facebook | Twitter | Blog | www.transitionkw.ca

ps. We're putting out a call for focus group participants for TransitionKW's Climate Change Adaptation Toolkit that is taking place October 16th. THERE WILL BE FREE FOOD :) If you're interested, get in touch by emailing transiti...@gmail.com

Volunteer Corner

Designer: If you have a knack for design, we'd love to have you help out with designing our event posters and other marketing literature. We have a number of projects on the way that would require this type of expertise. If this sounds like you, please get in touch!

Repair Cafe: We have the opportunity to host a repair cafe at the KWArtzLab space in Kitchener.  Anyone can bring in something broken from their home and have it looked at by some pro “fixers”. We are looking for volunteers who are interested in coordinating logistics and advertising for this event. Contact us :resilientcommunities@transitionkw.ca!

Casual: Right now we are looking for very low commitment volunteers who can be our “ambassadors”. These volunteers would help us connect with organizations that we don’t know yet (in the social justice, community or environmental fields), or would help us learn about events throughout the community and contribute to our community calendar. If you could contribute a few hours per year (that’s right - nothing more than making a few phone calls or sending out a few emails every year), and are connected with other organizations that can make us better, then please contact us a resilientcommunities@transitionkw.ca.