Blog, CCAdaptation Toolkit, Open Streets and more - Check out this week's TransitionKW Newsletter

Transition KW

Aug 12, 2013, 1:09:10 PM8/12/13
to transitionkw-...@googlegroups.com

Hi there, Transitioners!

First things first. On our blog, Bruce makes a powerful appeal to his fellow Boomers to play a greater role in the environmental movement. Give it a read, then share or email it to all the Boomers in your life! Also on the blog, Jon shares his thoughts on the benefits of using a reel mower.

Once you’ve finished reading, head over the calendar and circle August 14 (that’s this Wednesday). That’s the night (7-9pm) Sylvie will be at the Misty Mountain Cafe (33 Queen St. South, Kitchener) to discuss TransitionKW’s Climate Change Adaptation Toolkit. This’ll be an informal information session - feel free to drop-in, have a coffee, and have all your questions asked. If you’d like to participate, this is also a great opportunity to get involved!

Lastly, TransitionKW will have a booth at Open Streets Uptown Waterloo, which takes place this Sunday, August 18, from 1-5pm. Bring out the family, cycle the streets, and learn about all the great work community groups are doing in KW.

Scroll down to peep the great community events happening in KW this week as well as a round-up of notable enviro news and writing.

Hope to see you at one (or all!) of our events!

----

Nick Belanger

Facilitator, TransitionKW

Facebook | Twitter | Blog | www.transitionkw.ca

____________________________________

Community Notes

Bouquet Arranging 101 - Looking to add some gusto to your DIY flower arrangements? Pam Salisbury of Flourish Floral Boutique will guide you through the basics of creating beautiful bouquets using in-season flowers from the Hacienda Sarria Market garden. Pick flowers straight from the field, learn design techniques to create a personalized bouquet to match your taste and décor and head home with a flower arrangement to brighten up your kitchen table. $5.

When:  August 14, 6-7pm

Where: Hacienda Sarria Market Garden, 1254 Union Street, Kitchener

Queen Street Conversations - Join the Queen Street Yoga crew for a facilitated conversation about the complex issues of climate change and environmental devastation. Click here for more info.

When: August 18, 4pm-5pm Guided Yoga Practice (meet at the end of Schneider Avenue in Victoria Park)

5pm-7pm Join us for conversation under the trees!

Where: Victoria Park

____________________________________

Green News Roundup

Lots of people are talking about the Energy East pipeline, a project that has garnered increasing amounts of attention in the wake Obama’s remarks on Keystone XL and the Lac Megantic disaster. Here, Jeff Rubin offers his take in a recent Globe & Mail editorial.

Click this link to read about Double Dutchery, a website designed to help people swap gently used children’s clothing and sports equipment. Very cool, but a little over-thought in my opinion. TransitionKW is planning an old-fashioned clothing swap later this fall. The format will be simple: bring a bag of used clothing, empty it, then then fill it up with whatever you find. If you’re interested in getting helping plan and promote this event, shoot us an email.

Lastly, here’s a tongue-in-cheek piece on banning the lawn. Enjoy!

If you have views on any of the above, post them to our Facebook wall!

Volunteer Corner

Climate Change Adaptation Toolkit: Lots of skills are needed! The positions available now include:

Climate Change Researcher

Graphics Designer

Toolkit Writer

Workshops: We have the opportunity to host re-skilling workshops at the KWArtzLab space in Kitchener. This will be discussed at our at NEXT MEETING (August 22). We are looking for volunteers who are interested in coordinating and/or hosting a re-skilling workshop. Are you good at canning, sewing, repairing, woodworking, or just generally making - or know someone who is? Have them Contact us at resilientc...@transitionkw.ca!

Outreach: Do you like chatting with people about resilience, or like helping kids make crafts out of recycled products? Join our outreach team! We will be running booths at Day in the Park (July 13), and we’re looking for volunteers to help design our booth, activities for kids (of which we have a few already), and staff the booth. If interested, contact resilientc...@transitionkw.ca.

Casual: Right now we are looking for very low commitment volunteers who can be our “ambassadors”. These volunteers would help us connect with organizations that we don’t know yet (in the social justice, community or environmental fields), or would help us learn about events throughout the community and contribute to our community calendar. If you could contribute a few hours per year (that’s right - nothing more than making a few phone calls or sending out a few emails every year), and are connected with other organizations that can make us better, then please contact us a resilientc...@transitionkw.ca.