Repair Cafe & Elemental

Transition Kitchener-Waterloo

Jan 22, 2014, 8:49:48 AM1/22/14
to transitionkw-...@googlegroups.com

Greetings Transitioners,

Broken toaster? Hard drive dead? Moth holes in sweater? Toss it? No way! Come out to KW’s Repair Cafe this Saturday! And after that, come watch an inspiring documentary about environmental activism on Wednesday January 29!

Repair Cafe: Come out to get your household appliances, electronics, computers, or clothing fixed!

When: Saturday, January 25, 10am-4pm

Where: kwartzlab maker space, 33 Kent Avenue, Kitchener

More info: http://kwrepaircafe.eventbrite.ca

Elemental the Film at the Princess: Elemental is a documentary covering 3 stories that address our ecological challenges, from the Ganges to climate change to the tar sands.

When: Wednesday, January 29, 7pm

Where: The Princess Original, 6 Princess Street West, Waterloo

More info: http://www.princesscinemas.com/movie/elemental

----

Sylvie Spraakman

Facilitator, TransitionKW

Facebook | Twitter | Blog | www.transitionkw.ca

____________________________________

Community Notes

1. Public Lecture: The Case for Geo-Engineering: Amid current concerns surrounding climate change, its effects and the human contribution thereto, David Keith, Professor of Public Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School, discusses the controversy, risks and potential benefits of climate geoengineering as a possible solution. In doing so, he also explores the underlying question: is it conservation ecology or hubris?

Speaker:

David Keith, Professor of Public Policy, Harvard Kennedy School

David Keith has worked near the interface between climate science, energy technology, and public policy for twenty five years. He took first prize in Canada's national physics prize exam, won MIT's prize for excellence in experimental physics, and was listed as one of TIME magazine's Heroes of the Environment 2009. David divides his time between Cambridge where he is Gordon McKay Professor of Applied Physics in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and Professor of Public Policy in the Harvard Kennedy School; and Calgary, where he helps lead Carbon Engineering, a company developing technology to capture of CO2 from ambient air.

When: Wednesday January 22, 7pm

Where: CIGI Campus Auditorium, 67 Erb St W, Waterloo

Tickets: http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/signature-lecture-the-case-for-climate-geoengineering-tickets-9730968589

3. Waterloo-Wellington Good Living Guide: Where do I find fairtrade coffee? Who can help me reduce my household energy? Where do I find ethical clothing? How can I be a good citizen and purchase things ethically? There’s a great new resource for all of these questions and more - the Good Living Guide - check it out! http://lifestylecitizens.org/waterloo-wellington/

____________________________________

Green News Roundup

You Don’t Have to be Famous - But it doesn’t Hurt: Everybody who is concerned about the threat of climate change should speak out. Sure, it can feel like nobody is listening, but we need to keep telling our story. Maybe these folks will help:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/20/neil-young-open-letter_n_4633231.html

What Happens When They Listen: Individuals aren’t helpless and neither are entire cities. Wouldn’t it be great if Kitchener-Waterloo was at the top of this list?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/david-r-miller/sustainable-energy_b_4618731.html

The Tide is Starting to Change: Ask a politician to tell you their job description and basically, it will amount to giving everything to everybody while reducing taxes. In truth, it is to get re-elected, pure and simple. If we want them to do anything, we’ll do it at the ballot box. There’s signs of hope.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/17/keystone-pipeline-support_n_4617223.html

But, Then There’s These Guys: If something scary is happening, what can you tell a young child? You can tell them it’s nobody’s fault and besides, it’s not happening anyway. Pre-schoolers (and oblivious adults) will listen:

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2014/01/global-warming-pause-climate-denial-public-opinion

The Really, Really Inconvenient Truth: Here’s where we’re headed. For adults only.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/14/oil-sands-emissions-alberta_n_4598004.html