Shoreline clean-up (postponed 'til Sunday, September 22), Gasland, Tree Planting (SOLD OUT!)

Transition KW

Sep 21, 2013, 10:09:48 PM9/21/13
to transitionkw-...@googlegroups.com

Hello Transitioners,

We've got a big week ahead of us. Sunday starts up with the Shoreline clean-up. We'll be there - say hi, meet some of your fellow KW'ers, and help clean up a beautiful public space. Come midweek, we'll be screening Gasland at the REEP House at 7pm. We're all really excited for our first movie of the fall series. Scroll down for more details on how to RSVP, and click here and here to read two recent blog posts on fracking. This is one of the bigger developments of our time, making it an issue that deserves attention and discussion! Hope to see you at one of our events!

Great Canadian Shoreline Clean-Up - September 22 (POSTPONED 'TIL SUNDAY DUE TO RAIN), 12 noon. Waterloo Park. The Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup is a national program, providing all Canadians with the opportunity to make a difference in their local communities.The clean-up of the area around Silver Lake at Waterloo Park is hosted by the Laurier Naturalists. Transition Families will meet to play at the park afterwards. For information and to register, see:  http://www.shorelinecleanup.ca/en/cleanup/event/fall2013/silver-lake-waterloo-park

Tools for Change Movie Night - September 25, 7pm. REEP House for Sustainable Living, 20 Mill Street, Kitchener. Cost is free, but please register in advance, as space is limited: http://tfcmovienight.eventbrite.ca/. We’ll be watching Gasland -Gasland is an urgent, cautionary and sometimes      darkly  comic look at the largest domestic  natural gas  drilling  campaign in history, which is  currently sweeping  the U.S.  and promising landowners a quick payoff. Part  verité road  trip,  part exposé, part mystery and part  showdown,  Gasland follows director Fox on a 24-state  investigation of  the environmental effects of hydraulic  fracturing. What he  uncovers is mind-boggling.....”

Tree Planting with the City of Waterloo - October 5, 10.30 am. This event is full - thanks everyone for your interest!

----

Nick Belanger

Facilitator, TransitionKW

Facebook | Twitter | Blog | www.transitionkw.ca

Sorry, no Community Notes this week! This section will be back next-week. If you have an event, story, or a local organization that you would like to see covered in this space, email us or connect with us on Twitter or Facebook.

Volunteer Corner

Repair Cafe: We have the opportunity to host a repair cafe at the KWArtzLab space in Kitchener.  Anyone can bring in something broken from their home and have it looked at by some pro “fixers”. We are looking for volunteers who are interested in coordinating logistics and advertising for this event. Contact us :resilientcommunities@transitionkw.ca!

Casual: Right now we are looking for very low commitment volunteers who can be our “ambassadors”. These volunteers would help us connect with organizations that we don’t know yet (in the social justice, community or environmental fields), or would help us learn about events throughout the community and contribute to our community calendar. If you could contribute a few hours per year (that’s right - nothing more than making a few phone calls or sending out a few emails every year), and are connected with other organizations that can make us better, then please contact us a resilientcommunities@transitionkw.ca.