Newsletter: FIRST EARTH, #FaceTheChange, and Community Market

Transition KW

Oct 21, 2013, 12:50:47 PM10/21/13
to transitionkw-...@googlegroups.com

Hello Transitioners!

Happy Monday, everyone. Here's what's coming up this week.

The Tools for Change film series resumes this week with First Earth, a film that discusses the revival of cob building. More than a movie about a building material, this documentary explores the social, cultural, and environmental impacts of how we build and live in our homes. We're screening First Earth this Wednesday (Oct 23) at the REEP House, 20 Mill St., Kitchener. An open discussion will follow. Space is limited, so please RSVP by clicking here.

Also on the calendar this week is Our Horizon's #FaceTheChange talk, which is set to take place at Alumni Hall, St-Paul's University College, on Thursday (Oct 24) from 3-5pm. Here, Our Horizon director Rob Shirkey will present his game plan of how citizens of the Region of Waterloo can work to advocate for our municipal councils to adopt by-laws that would force gas stations to post warning labels (think of the warnings on cigarette packs) on gas pumps, connecting the consumption of gasoline to climate change. Pretty cool campaign, if you ask me! Wouldn't it be great if Waterloo Region were the first community in Canada to take this up? Talk about being innovative! Be sure to check out the talk and follow Our Horizon on twitter.

On Saturday (Oct 26), BarterWorks is holding its monthly Community Market at Queen Street Commons from 11-3pm. Craftspeople from the Waterloo Region will be out in full force showcasing their talents and works. What a great way to support the local economy!

A big thank you to all the participants that came out to last week's focus group session for our Climate Change Adaptation Toolkit. The responses were very helpful and will serve to strengthen this document. We can't wait to launch it in the new year!

Once again, if you've got an event you'd like us to promote, tweet us! And if you have friends that might enjoy any of the events listed above, please share this newsletter with them!

Lastly, be sure to check out the new positions posted in the Volunteer Corner below. If you have friends or family that might be interested in these positions, please pass this message along. TransitionKW is a volunteer-run organization - we're always in need of bright, passionate people interested in getting involved!

----

Nick Belanger

Facilitator, TransitionKW

Facebook | Twitter | Blog | www.transitionkw.ca

Volunteer Corner

Movie Night Coordinator: Do you love sustainability-oriented documentary films? Why not help us organize and coordinate our next film series! This position involves being the lead of the following tasks:

  • Curating a line-up of films,
  • Connecting with the directors and/or studios to secure viewing rights,
  • Organizing a pre-screening of the films,
  • Promoting the film series

If this sounds like something you're interested in doing, connect with us via email, social media, or come to our next meeting. We'd love to hear from you!

Covering the Regional/Municipal Beat: Are you a journalist interested in growing your audience? Do you follow regional politics, paying close attention to issues such as city development, transportation, and environmental issues? TransitionKW would love to have you on board as a regular blogger - posting regularly on Regional or Municipal politics with a special focus on sustainability-related issues.