Oxbow Farm 2012 seed list

Oxbow Farm

Nov 26, 2012, 7:55:25 AM11/26/12
to transitio...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
We are avid seed savers at Oxbow Farm and are interested in finding more seed savers in the Finger Lakes and Southern Tier to exchange seed with to expand our collection of locally adapted varieties.
Very interested in discussing seed saving and plant breeding and homestead scale small grain harvesting and processing.  This is a list of our currently available seed which is all grown by us here at Oxbow Farm, most of it is fresh from the 2012 season. Seeds listed as F1 are hybrids but they are created by us on farm as part of our plant breeding experimentation, they are not commercially sourced seed. We are offering seeds for trial to anyone and would like to exchange it for interesting seed others have especially if it has been locally saved and has thus begun adapting to the local climate.  We are also actively seeking to trade whole copies of our seed archive with others to increase our own germplasm diversity and get our stuff out to others.  We can be reached via email or we can meet face to face at the Ithaca Farmer's market where we vend most weeks, although our attendance may be spotty during the Winter Market.

Thanks,

Tim
Here's the stuff we've grown here this year (or the last couple) that is available for folks.

Dry Bush Beans
- Brown Trout, Ireland Creek Annie's (thanks Holly), Carol Deppe's F4 Gaucho/Mitla, Kenearly Yellow Eye

Snap Bush Beans- Provider, Rocdor

Dry Pole Beans- Octorora Cornfield, True Red Cranberry, Dolloff, Barnett

Buckwheat

Dent Corn- Oxbow Landrace Dent (descended from Bloody Butcher, Wapsie Valley, Oaxacan Green, Early Butler, Strubbe's Orange)

Flint Corn- Bronze Beauty Flint, Oxbow Mixed Flint (contains Cascade Ruby Gold, Cascade Creamcap, Byron Yellow Flint, Roy's Calais Flint)

Chickpea- Hannan Popbean

Collard greens
- Grey's Favorite

Cowpea- Dolicho di Veneto

Cucumber- Marketmore 76

Fava- Norka

Garlic- Music, Russian Red, Spanish Roja

Kale- Portuguese Dairyman, Russian Frills

Lettuce- New Red Fire, Adriana, Black Seeded Simpson, Cherokee, Black Seed Red Ruff

Nightshade Solanum nigrum- Schwartzbeeren

Oats- Leonard

Runnerbean- Blackcoat

Squash Maxima- Oxbow Landrace Maxima, Crown Pumpkin X Sweetmeat Oregon Homestead F1, Cha-Cha F2, Cha Cha X Katy Stoke's Sugarmeat F1, Crown Pumpkin

Squash Moschata- Oxbow Landrace Butternut, Long Island Cheese, Old Timey, Long Island Cheese X Old Timey F1

Squash Pepo- Jade Numbat F4, Bianco di Sicilia, Delicata, Honey Bear F2, Sugar Dumpling F2, Thelma Sander's Sweet Potato, Kakai, Winter Luxury, Jersey Golden Acorn, Winter Luxury X Jersey Golden Acorn F1, Long Pie Pumpkin X Delicata F1, Vavo's Long Keeper Jack Pumpkin, Jade Numbat X Bianco di Sicilia F1

Tomatillo- Plaza Latina

Tomato- KC 135, Campbell 54, Sioux, Eva Purple Ball, Cosmonaut Volkov, Ohio Crack Resistant, Crimson Sprinter, Bloody Butcher, Neve's Azorean Red, Gregori's Altai, Rose De Berne, Sungold F2, Matt's Wild

Wheat- Arcadian HWW, Lagodehkis Grdztavtava HRW, Masterpiece HRW, Red May HRW, Cascade HWW

Read more: http://alanbishop.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=market&action=display&thread=6830#ixzz2DKclWkSy
.

[...]

Oxbow Farm

Nov 26, 2012, 8:17:58 AM11/26/12
to transitio...@googlegroups.com
I apologize for the way that formatted, google groups and my computer are not liking each other very much.

Tim

Samuel Bosco

Nov 26, 2012, 12:14:49 PM11/26/12
to transitio...@googlegroups.com
Wow Tim, thanks so much this is really awesome!

May I also post this on the Finger Lakes Permaculture e-list for you?

I know that Simone and I would be interested in learning from you and getting some seed too.

You may also want to connect with Sean Dembrosky of Edible Acres in Trumansburg and the Veterans Sanctuary also in T-burg.

Best to you!
Sam

PS, would be interested in possibly teaching a seed saving workshop sometime in the future if it works for your schedule?

--
Working to support community-led responses to climate change, inequality and shrinking supplies of cheap energy, building resilience and happiness

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/ithaca-in-transition?hl=en?hl=en

--
Samuel Bosco
Graduate Research Assistant

Oxbow Farm

Nov 26, 2012, 7:47:57 PM11/26/12
to transitio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

Is Sean Dembrosky the guy Simone was talking about with all the perennial food plants?  I would like to talk with him, we are very weak in the perennial department.
I'd love to contribute to a seed saving workshop.  You can post it on another local list, we are interested in collaborating with other local seed savers as much as possible.

Tim

Jeff Piestrak

Nov 27, 2012, 5:26:42 PM11/27/12
to transitio...@googlegroups.com, Chrys Gardener

Hi Tim, thanks so much for your post and work around seed saving!

For anyone who is interested in this topic, I recently hosted a community conversation on seed saving at Mann Library, and hope to post recordings of that event soon. Many of those in attendance expressed an interest in seeing additional events, including hands on workshops, so it’s great to hear folks here are interested in helping make that happen.

One additional possibility is hosting a visit by Ken Greene from the Hudson Seed Library (www.seedlibrary.org). He’s been quite active in building a diverse regional seed collection for the last 9 years, speaks and writes extensively on seed saving, and is currently organizing a Northeast Seed Summit. I’ve been in touch with him, and he’d love to visit our area and share his work as a model of what we might do here, possibly as a talk and/or workshop.

One of our panelists from the recent event at Mann, Chrys Gardener from Tompkins County Extension (copied here) is very interested in helping support seed saving, applying some of the experience and knowledge she gained managing the Irish Seed Savers Association. She already has a list of interested folks –perhaps we could add to that group from our ranks, helping keep some momentum going around this?

Cheers, Jeff