Diverse Potato Collection Free to Good Homes

Oxbow Farm

Oct 11, 2013, 2:24:32 PM10/11/13
to transitio...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Not sure if this Group is still active at all but I'll try posting this anyway.

We've been trialing a large number of unusual potato lines, many bred by Tom Wagner or descended from his TPS (true potato seed) breeding work.  This year we planted samples of over 50 different potatoes.  All diffeernt colors of skin and flesh as well as diverse shapes, sizes maturities are represented.  Both indeterminate and determinate lines are also present, some of the indeterminate vines grew 4 ft tall by 8 or so feet across, not your tame commercial potato!  Some of them are still green and growing as we speak despite multiple frosts here in our little frost pocket of a valley.

With all of the farm work it is honestly more germplasm that we are capable of storing separately  and keeping track of.  We are offering them up to anyone locally who would like to trial them. Some of them did very well this year with basically benign neglect, we planted them and hilled them twice, that's it.  Our soil is a very light gravel, many of them are showing growth cracks characteristic of uneven watering.  A garden with a more water retentive soil might grow some of these prettier than they grew here.

We're very interested in sustainable communities and nothing grows more complete protein calories per acre in this climate than potatoes.

If anyone is interested please email us

You can see a picture of some of them as harvested on the Oxbow Farm Facebook page.

Tim

Eric Banford

Oct 11, 2013, 5:01:49 PM10/11/13
to transitio...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately this group has fallen silent. Maybe a fall event is in order? Anyone up to planning something? GreenStar's Space is being worked on and will be ready in January for market, and open for meetings again. Though it would be nice to gather sooner than that.

Cool offer of potatoes, I replied on your Facebook page, which wasn't easy to find because there are a few with the same name, so if anyone is interested:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oxbow-Farm/127845550622503

Thanks,
Eric

Working to support community-led responses to climate change, inequality and shrinking supplies of cheap energy, building resilience and happiness

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/ithaca-in-transition?hl=en?hl=en

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Transition Tompkins " group.

Valorie Rockney

Oct 11, 2013, 5:05:32 PM10/11/13
to transitio...@googlegroups.com
Would you like us to forward this to Sustainable Tompkins?

Thanks,

Valorie