Social Action: WED.: Racial Justice Reflections/Women's Suffrage Day on WBAI

Sarah Klepner

Aug 25, 2020, 9:42:12 AM8/25/20
to transition-red-bank

Let's Talk About Race

  • Wednesday, August 26, 2020
  • 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
  • ONLINE - REGISTER FOR ZOOM LINK BELOW

  • Let's Talk About Race is an award-winning Community Discussion Series hosted by the Red Bank Library.

  • Join the Red Bank Library (on Zoom) to celebrate Let’s Talk About Race’s 5th anniversary! The topic for this month’s discussion will be 5 Years Later… Where Are We Now?

  • Join Jennifer Lewinski from Black Lives Matter (Asbury Park), and Rabbi Sagal who serves Congregation B’Nai Israel in Rumson, will look at our country’s past story of race and race relations. How far have we come? How far do we have to go?

Jennifer Lewinski represents Black Lives Matter (Asbury Park) and is a part of the Trinity (Episcopal Church) Racial Justice Project. She is active in community affairs and is passionate about truth, justice and what is right. For more about her work, see

http://www.aptransformativejustice.org/

Rabbi Doug Sagal serves Congregation B’Nai Israel in Rumson. Rabbi Sagal currently serves as immediate past President of the New Jersey Region of Reform Rabbis and is committed to helping bring about much-needed change in our community and society .

REGISTRATION CLOSES AT 5 PM THE DAY OF THE EVENT. REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED, THE LIBRARY WILL SEND YOU A ZOOM LINK THE DAY OF THE EVENT.

Use the link below for registration:

https://www.redbanklibrary.org/calendar-covid/bdlcjbc2n9ycxxshmmf6t7dcfl5hpx-3ex8p

*********

 Wed, Aug 26, 2020

WOMEN'S VOTE CENTENNIAL SPECIAL 11 AM - 5 PM WBAI 99.5 fm (wbai.org)

August 26 will mark 100 years since women won the right to vote--after a struggle of 75 years involving three generations. What made them persevere in a cause many deemed "hopeless"? We'll look at this extrordinary movement from many angles--we hope to bring it alive so we can all learn what it can teach us in our own difficult historic moment.

We'll also have some great Centennial Souvenir premiums for our listener-supporters--keepsakes and resources you'll want to own. Centennials come once in a lifetime--Celebrate this one with WBAI and Joy of Resistance this August 26!

Produced by Fran Luck and Joy of Resistance. Here's some of what you'll hear:

Schedule of the Day:

Hour 1 / 11: 00 AM to Noon

"Pre-quel":  What led up to the votes-for-women movement?"

GuestSally Roesch Wagner, (author:The Women's Suffrage Movement); influence of Native American Women's rights on early suffragists; state of women's rights in the 19th century; period music, dramatic readings; Coming attractions of Special!

Hours 2 & 3 / Noon to 2:00 PM

"The 75-year Fight for the Vote"

Guests: Author-historians: Ellen Carol Dubois (author: Suffrage: Women's Long Fight for the Vote), Martha Jones (author: Vanguard: How Black Women Broke Barriers, Won the Vote, and Insisted on Equality for All); clips from PBS doc "The Vote" (A PREMIUM); dramatic readings; period music

Hour 4 / 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM

The play Promise and Betrayal: Voices from the struggle for Women's Emancipation, from 1776 to 1920 by Carol Hanisch

Feminists debate who should get the vote after the Civil War: Black men or White women? (Gov't won't give it to both--Black women are not even in the picture!)--actors read words of Frederick Douglass, Sojourner Truth, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, others; After-play-debate with actors & author; 1898 feminist song written by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (original tune by Carol Hanisch & Bev Grant); Sung by Bev Grant
.

Hour 5 / 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM

"What happened to the feminist movement after the vote was won?" (How did Amelia Earhardt become the 1950's housewife??)

ERA introduced in 1923--seen as 'next step' but doesn't go anywhere. Feminists are Red-baited when they try to vote as a bloc for social justice --Prof. Carol GiardinaSouthern Black women don't get to vote until Civil Rts Mvt; Women lose jobs, pushed back into home after WW2. Rebirth of feminism in1960'sWhat is still left to be done to achieve women's equality?

Hour 6 / 4:00 -5:00 PM

"What does the Vote mean Today?"

Voter suppression; Is "Voting vs Radical activism" an EITHER/OR?  Why no woman Pres. or VP in 244 years? The ERA struggle today. Listener phone calls and input: tweets, Zoom calls (depending on WBAI's tech situa tion at that time).