Social Actions: Tomorrow-Racial Justice Film+Upcoming Events

Sarah Klepner

Jan 11, 2020, 9:21:59 PM1/11/20
to transition-red-bank
IMMEDIATE: Sign Petition for Electrifying Transportation (see below)
Ongoing Racial Justice organizing: see below for upcoming programs and meetings

Learn from our past. Fight for our future.
Social Action film: True Justice
Sunday Jan. 12
6 pm
1475 West Front Street
Unitarian meetinghouse (uucmc.org)

Facebook event page: search 'Film: True Justice'

Hosted by the NJ Social Justice Remembrance Coalition, with discussion/Q and A after film.

TRUE JUSTICE “Bryan Stevenson’s Fight for Equality” follows Bryan Stevenson, founder of the Equal Justice Initiative, and his struggle to create greater fairness in the criminal justice system. The film shows how racial injustice emerged, evolved and continues to threaten the country, and challenges viewers to confront it.

NJ Social Justice Remembrance Coalition is currently working with the Equal Justice Initiative (EJI) to place an EJI Historical Marker at the site where Samuel Johnson was lynched in 1886 in Eatontown, NJ.

For more information, contact acsherwo...@gmail.com

********
IMMEDIATE: Sign Petition for Electrifying Transportation
State Legislature Votes on Monday Jan. 13
From New Jersey League of Conservation Voters (joe.hen...@njlcv.org)

Here in New Jersey, transportation is the largest source of greenhouse gas pollution, accounting for nearly half of our state’s emissions.

If we’re ever going to fully tackle the climate crisis and improve the poor air quality that predominantly suffocates environmental justice, Black, and Latinx communities, it’s imperative that we accelerate to a future of an electrified transportation system.

The state legislature is poised to vote on a landmark electric vehicle bill this Monday that would transform New Jersey’s transportation sector, ensure we’re well on our way to meeting our 100% clean energy goals, and certify our status as a national leader in greenhouse gas reductions. But we can only make that happen by raising our voices to get our lawmakers to support it.

Tell your state lawmakers to vote YES on S2252/A4819 so that New Jersey can electrify its transportation sector and create good, local jobs >>

To ensure everyone has access to electric vehicles, S2252/A4819 would establish a nation-leading incentive program with rebates of up to $5,000 and provide the framework for an essential public charging network so everyone can plug-in. In addition, it will help homeowners purchase in-home electric vehicle charging equipment. With regards to public transportation, the bill will also put NJTransit on an aggressive timeline to achieve a near zero-emission bus fleet by 2040!

Everyone deserves the right to clean air, yet the majority of New Jersey’s counties routinely receives failing ratings from the American Lung Association for their terrible air quality. By electrifying our transportation system, we can take a major step forward in cleaning up the air for more than 167,000 children in New Jersey living with asthma, especially those in Black and Latinx communities who are much more likely to suffer the consequences of toxic exhaust from vehicles on heavily trafficked roads.

New Jersey is no stranger to clean energy solutions – it’s high time for us to start taking real, tangible steps toward replacing gas guzzling cars with clean running electric vehicles. We’ll see less greenhouse gas emissions contributing to climate change, more local jobs, and cleaner air for our communities.

Send a message to your state lawmakers ASAP and tell them to support S2252/A4819 >>

Thanks for joining us in the fight for a 100% clean energy future.

Thanks to Patty Whyte  (pwhy...@gmail.com) for the following info on racial justice programs in Red Bank:

Thursday, January 16, 7:00-8:30 PM - Citizens for a Diverse and Open Society (CDOS) meets at Pilgrim Baptist Church, 172 Shrewsbury Ave., Red Bank. For more information, contact Sid Bernstein at citizensforad...@gmail.com.

Sunday, January 19 3:00-5:00 PM T. Thomas Fortune Cultural Center, 94 Drs. James Parker Blvd, Red Bank. "Celebrating the Life and Legacy of Dr. King". The Cultural sponsors multiple events.

Wednesday, January 29, 6:30-8:30 PM - Award-winning program "Let's Talk About Race" at the Red Bank Public Library, 84 W. Front St., Red Bank. Kerwin Webb of the Center for Public Justice will present a program on efforts by the NJ Social Justice Remembrance Coalition, in cooperation with the Equal Justice Initiative (EJI) to place an EJI Historical Marker at the site where Samuel Johnson was lynched in 1886 in Eatontown, NJ.
For more information call the library at #732-842-0690

Please share this info with your circle of friends!
Patty