Social Action: Slavery's Legacy-film + director Q&A Sunday

Sarah Klepner

Jul 25, 2020, 4:03:53 AM7/25/20
to transition-red-bank
Also: Petition - Defend the US Post Office
July 29 Talk-Immigrant Communities and Covid-19

The Social Justice Committee of the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Monmouth County presents:
The Long Shadow - film + discussion with filmmaker
Available to watch online until July 28 (also on Amazon Prime)-watch independently via link below
Sunday July 26: Live online Q and A with filmmaker Frances Causey
7 - 8:30 pm
Watch the film at your leisure and register for the live discussion at http://thelongshadowfilm/UUCMC
For assistance on Sunday, text 312-388-2011

Of all the divisions in America, none is as insidious and destructive as racism. The makers of The Long Shadow, both privileged daughters of the South haunted by their families' slave-owning pasts, expose how the South has exerted a powerful influence on the shaping of this country, establishing white privilege throughout our institutions, laws, culture and economy. The vicious consequences of this influence are felt to this day, and call on everyone to stand in solidarity with Black people.
Watch at your leisure from through 28, and join the live discussion with filmmaker Frances Causey at 7 pm on Sunday, July 26.
Watch the movie and register for the live online event here: http://thelongshadowfilm.com/UUCMC

Please share widely! This is essential watching for folks who say that 'slavery ended 150 years ago, what's the problem?' One key act of solidarity is to educate others about the true history of the Black experience in the U.S.
Join and share on Facebook:
Connect with The Long Shadow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/longshadowdoc/

The screening and director appearance are being held free of charge to the host. To support the work of the film, please donate to a Black-led social justice organization of your choice. Here are a few that the UUCMC Social Justice Committee has engaged over the years:
Asbury Park Transformative Justice Project
Konscious Youth Development and Service
New Jersey Institute for Social Justice
People's Organization for Progress
Ladies of Hope Ministries
Equal Justice Initiative

Email thelongs...@gmail.com to submit questions in advance.
More about the film: http://thelongshadowfilm.com/the-film/
To learn about the Social Justice committee: http://www.uucmc.org/serve/social-justice/
For more about the screening and the Social Action film series, email sarah....@gmail.com

***************************

Let's Talk About Race: The Impact of COVID-19 on Immigrant Communities - hosted by the Red Bank Library

Wednesday, July 29 at 7pm

Register by 5 pm July 29 to receive Zoom link at https://www.redbanklibrary.org/calendar-covid/bdlcjbc2n9ycxxshmmf6t7dcfl5hpx

Or see July 29 on the calendar at redbanklibrary.org

From healthcare disparities and economic loss, to immigration policies and procedures; immigrant communities have been hit hard by COVID-19, often left out of federal and state relief efforts. Join Itzel Hernandez, the Immigrant Rights Organizer with American Friends Service Committee in Red Bank where she works on local, state and federal policy initiatives to improve the lives of mixed status and undocumented families and Adriana Medina Gomez. the Legal Assistant for the American Friends Service Committee - Immigrant Rights Program in Red Bank for an important LTAR conversation.

Register here: https://www.redbanklibrary.org/calendar-covid/bdlcjbc2n9ycxxshmmf6t7dcfl5hpx

Adriana Medina Gomez is the Legal Assistant for the American Friends Service Committee - Immigrant Rights Program in Red Bank. For the past 5 years she has worked in immigration law and has worked with immigrant communities for over 10 years.

 Itzel Hernandez is the Immigrant Rights Organizer with American Friends Service Committee in Red Bank where she works on  local, state and federal policy initiatives to improve the lives of mixed status and undocumented families. Her work focuses on engaging immigrant youth in political activism in a range of social issues, including current immigration topics like Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Temporary Protected Status (TPS) & access to higher education for undocumented students.  Prior to working with AFSC, Itzel was part of the Friends Committee on National Legislation Advocacy Corps in Washington D.C,  where she lobbied for bipartisan federal legislation on climate change at her home district. A graduate of New Jersey City University with dual degrees in National Security Studies and Political Science.

Sign the petition: Immediately fund the USPS! We must be able to vote-by-mail during the pandemic.

From activist and labor organizer Carol Gay:

Friends,
I took an action on Action Network called Sign the petition: Immediately fund the USPS! We must be able to vote-by-mail during the pandemic.
This is a tough time for everyone right now. The last thing we need to worry about is how to cast our ballot this fall without putting our health at risk. Vote-by-mail can offer people a way to vote without fear of contracting COVID-19. It also breaks down barriers to voting for seniors, working families, disabled Americans, and young voters. For expanded vote-by-mail to work, however, Congress must also adequately fund the U.S. Postal Service, which has suffered devastating revenue losses due to the pandemic. The USPS provides absolutely crucial services for Americans nationwide. But right now, it’s in danger -- and Trump is willing to let it go bankrupt. Congress can fix this. It has been more than two months since the House passed the HEROES Act — legislation that would greatly help address our growing public health, economic, and democracy crises. The HEROES Act includes $25 billion for the USPS. Now that the Senate is back in session, it's time for them to do their job and pass the HEROES Act immediately. The Senate must follow the House’s lead. The USPS is ESSENTIAL for as many Americans as possible to vote from home and not risk their lives during this pandemic. The Senate must fully fund the USPS in the next COVID-19 stimulus package. Sign the petition: Demand the Senate fund the USPS.
Thanks!
Carol