Social Action: 1 pm Memorial for Civil Rights leader/Emerg.Climate March Sun

Sarah Klepner

Sep 12, 2020, 12:09:33 PM9/12/20
to transition-red-bank
Green Jobs webinar Sept. 15

Today: Memorial - Civil Rights Activist and Social Justice Pioneer Rev. Dr. Gil Caldwell

Online Service - 1 pm - see link below

Rev. Gil brought the deep humanism of Dr. King (with whom he marched in the 1960's) forward to the present, embracing a range of issues in his ministry, particularly LGBT rights.

His passing is felt deeply.  The memorial is an opportunity to learn about his life's work, even for those who did not know him.

Here is the invitation from his son, Dale:

Thank you for keeping the Caldwell family in your thoughts and prayers. I would like to invite you to a Memorial Service for my Dad on Saturday, September 12th at 1pm (Eastern). The service will begin with a prelude of about 30 minutes of videos and music.

You can join the service on Facebook at the link https://tinyurl.com/RevGilMemorial or on YouTube at the link https://tinyurl.com/RGMemorialYT

We hope many of you can join this service when we will gather to grieve my Dad's passing and celebrate his extraordinary life and ministry.  A virtual reception will follow the service.

Service can be viewed on Facebook or Youtube after live event.

Donations in honor of Rev. Gil are being accepted by Dale's foundation, https://dalecaldwellfoundation.org/, which continues the work of his father and others by implementing innovative approaches to reducing poverty and war (as Dr. King noted, they are flip sides of the same coin).

Thanks to Patty Whyte (pwhy...@gmail.com/732-687-9686) for sharing, and my apologies for the late notice (sk).

March for Climate Action
Sunday, 9/13
1 PM
Battery Park (lower Manhattan-accessible for free via Staten Island ferry. Parking is available there. Please carpool!)

Called by Extinction Rebellion NYC (https://www.xrebellion.nyc/)

It is a climate emergency. The West Coast is burning. Again. And so is Brazil, Greece, Argentina, Indonesia, and Bulgaria. Climate chaos is not in the distant future. It is here.

 Please join us as we come together to grieve for all that’s been lost - and to turn that grief into action.

We’ll be marching to say: this isn’t a drill. Our planet is on fire. We need the government to take real action. We need the media to tell the truth about the climate crisis that’s causing these record-breaking fires. We must act now!

Our action Sunday will be bigger and bolder than ever. But we can’t do it without you.  Please bring a sign which tells the world why you are alarmed.

Sign up now to let the organizers know you’re coming. Wear red or orange, or whatever is comfortable. Masks and social distancing will be required for all in-person events.

And help us spread the word! Post about it on social media and bring a friend to the march.

******

Green Jobs Webinar - Online - Link Below

Tues. Sept. 15

12 - 2 pm

Hosted by NJ League of Conservation Voters (njlcv.org)

Contact: Michele Peal, infor...@njlcv.org

New Jersey is one of the most vulnerable states to climate change, and it's clear that we can no longer stand idly by and expect everything will be okay. What we can do, however, is use this moment to craft a post-COVID Sustainable Green Jobs Recovery that could clean up pollution that disproportionately impacts communities of color, ensure clean drinking water for generations, and prepare all New Jerseyans for the clean energy economy of the future — not the fossil fueled, status quo economy we have now.

To hear more about this plan, please join the Capitol Region Minority Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday, September 15 for a Lunch and Learn webinar series on the Post-COVID Green Economy. We're so excited to be invited to present and we hope our members — especially any minority or women business owners — join us to learn more about what jobs and opportunities would be available in a green economy.

Advanced registration is not required. Just join us using this Zoom link at 12:00pm!

What: Lunch and Learn Series: The Post-COVID Green Economy
When: Tuesday, September 15, 12:00 – 2:00 p.m.
Where: Online via Zoom!
Hosted by: Capitol Region Minority Chamber of Commerce, New Jersey LCV, Primepoint, Cooper's Ferry Partnership, and Nottingham Insurance

At a time when New Jersey is looking at significant budget deficits, a green jobs recovery can kick start our economy and put workers back to work in good local jobs that enhance our quality of life. The plan would see billions of dollars invested in electrifying our vehicles, ports, and homes, and an all-electric public transit system that is affordable, reliable, and expanded. It also sets bold goals for offshore wind, energy storage, and community solar, which makes it a win-win for everyone!

Learn more by joining us for a Lunch and Learn this Tuesday >>

Thanks for staying engaged.

Michelle Peal
Media Relations Manager
New Jersey LCV